Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 08-29-2010, 12:48 PM

superjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant future
Default Moebius Moon Bus

Hi RI,
Been a while since I've had time to sit down and work on a model, and last weekend I found a Moon Bus kit at my LHS so I snapped it up and started to build it. This is the Moebius Models release of the old Aurora kit, which has become very collectible/expensive since its original release years ago. I had always wanted one but it had long since climbed out of my price range. I picked up this Moebius version for around $44.

There are several aftermarket detail kits for this model, including a resin interior set, a photoetch detail set, and even waterslide decals. But I have a self-imposed hobby budget and didn't want to rack up major $$$ on this one.

This version (as I understand) has corrected a couple of problems with the old Aurora version; namely roof warp, and the addition of 2 new clear windscreen parts. The Aurora kit had large sloping windscreens which conformed to the shape of the nose cone. The shooting miniature featured vertical windscreens which were much smaller. This kit gives you the option to build either way.

It's a nicely engineered model. Everything has been going together smoothly so far. Here are some progress shots.

The interior:

I did a very basic paint job on this. The kit's big roof panel is designed to be removable, but I intend to glue it on, so much of this interior detail won't be very visible through the relatively small windows.

After primer, I sprayed the interior parts with Testors SAC bomber green as an overall base coat. The seats were painted with Tamiya brown, and various colors were used on the "cargo" parts.

The roof was masked and the inside shot with the SAC green as well.

The nose assembly:

Nothing too cosmic here, just some basic flat black with details on the control panel picked out in Floquil bright silver and Testors gloss red.

The landing gear, referred to in the instructions as "walkers" each consist of 14 parts! Very clever design which made painting very simple. Just some Metalizer stainless steel for the base, bright silver on the shock absorbers, and flat black on the central piston.

That's where she sits as of this afternoon. Next up will be to glue on the nose cone assembly, then the roof, and it'll be ready for an exterior paint job.
I plan to do an overall coat of flat white, then pick out some random panels with insignia white and some lightly tinted gray panels before I do some pastel weathering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3091.jpg (128.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Kuhn Global; 08-29-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Added Thumbnail for Viewing
Old 08-29-2010, 01:05 PM
El Guapo

dbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of All
Default Re: Moebius Moon Bus

Very clean build and I really like the interior colors you've chosen.
Looking forward to the exterior.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:09 PM
suki5150

suki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of All

Me too.

Nice clean paint and choice of colours too. I bought one of these and have yet to start it.

Great stuff.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Feel the wrath of Boron!!

Lord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant future

I started toying with mine and I have to say it's very nice kit. Yours is looking great.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:03 PM

clactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to behold

Been looking forward to seeing a build up of this, looking excellent so far!

Clactonite
Old 08-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by suki5150 View Post

Nice clean paint and choice of colours too.

Great stuff.
I was just about to type that! LOLOL... so yes... I echo Chris's statement!

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 08-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

Nice. I like the finer details, like the rope on the boxes etc. Great!!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:17 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Nice build so far. That design is just cool!

I only just bought the 2001 Blu Ray on the weekend. Man, I'm seeing detail on those models like never before. The Moonbus is a real favourite. Please continue, SJ.

Mike
Old 08-30-2010, 05:57 PM

superjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant future

Thanks, guys. I'm beginning my favorite part. . . exterior detailing!
I wanted to mask off the interior obviously and keep as much of the flat black on the nose area as possible. I'm using the clear kit parts as part of my masking.
The passenger compartment windows are molded as one piece for each side, so I put some plastic wrap over each part and pressed them into position from the inside. I taped them on for extra security, then I placed the roof into position.
Once I'm done painting, I'll just lift off the roof, remove the plastic wrap, and glue the windows in. Easy peasy!
To mask the anti-glare panels on the nose, I'm using the larger inaccurate windscreens. They're a perfect fit! I just put on a couple of dots of Testors clear parts cement to hold them in place and added a masking tape "handle to each one. So again, once I'm done painting, I can just lift them right off. The few dots of clear parts cement will be easy to clean off.

I started the paint work with a spray bomb of Tamiya flat white.

Pretty stark and boring! Once the flat white dried overnight, I began masking off small panel areas and hit it with Tamiya insignia white. This is a very slightly off-white shade which provides a nice subtle contrast.

Closer over the right side.

The rear bulkhead.

I think this adds a nice level of depth to the relatively smooth surface of the bus.

I plan to add another "layer" of a more pure light gray once all the insignia white paneling is sprayed on. Another evening or two and it should be nearly complete!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:00 AM

Hi,
Didn't really take any more progress shots of the kit, but she's finished now and I posted some final pics in the completed section:

http://www.resinilluminati.com/showt...313#post185313