Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 08-20-2010, 08:11 AM

Shizman is a jewel in the roughShizman is a jewel in the roughShizman is a jewel in the roughShizman is a jewel in the roughShizman is a jewel in the roughShizman is a jewel in the roughShizman is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: TOS Enterprise

Oh good idea. I'll do that instead. My main worry about doing this though is that I tend to get bubbles and they'll show pretty clearly. Even if I only get a couple, they'll show up. However, if I mist it with white, they'll still glow nicely, but not allow you to really see through it. Normally when I use clear resin, I'll place the parts into my pressure pot, but this is a little too big to fit (a lot too big actually!).

For my main windows, I've had good success with using fiber optics. I have 3mm ones that I plan to use for the rectangular windows and smaller ones for the portholes. I probably would have made the main windows rectangular if I was going to use clear resin, however I find that I'm faster using FO for all windows and sanding them flush with the full. I then mask them off in the final shape and size that they'll be and apply black paint for light blocking. I've already drilled the holes for them, so I suspect that this is the way that I'll proceed. I flare the inner end of the FO so that it catches more light and it was worked pretty well for me on my 1/1000 ships. I'm crossing my fingers that it'll look good for this too.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:09 PM

Shizman is a jewel in the roughShizman is a jewel in the roughShizman is a jewel in the roughShizman is a jewel in the roughShizman is a jewel in the roughShizman is a jewel in the roughShizman is a jewel in the rough

So I'm working more on the ship today and measured the total saucer edge height and got ~10.75mm. I compared this to the Casimiro drawings and they are ~12mm when you scale them to this model.

Worth making the saucer height higher? What do people think?

Last edited by Shizman; 08-25-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:52 AM

KUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to all

I used the 1/1000 (11 inch) kit as a reference because most everyone agrees it is spot-on accurate. Taking the 11 inch kit saucer height and doubling it, I found the 22 inch kit was actually okay! Can you believe AMT at least got that right. Also, I found the nacelle length is pretty close too, when doubling the length of the 11 inch kit. I recommend the Sinclair drawings over the Casimiro....
Old 08-26-2010, 07:28 PM

Looks like I already have the Sinclair drawings in my model reference repository. I'll take a look at these as I continue.

There isn't too much progress since my last post. I have been really unimpressed by my join job, so I had to add more reinforcement and clamp the parts to a table and leave it. In the meantime, I've been working on the body halves and making the side trenches more accurate. Right now, I've filled in the incorrect detail and am waiting for the glue to cure.

I also dremeled a trench in the neck to hold a brass tube for the wires so they'll stay tucked out of the way. I soldered a black wire to the tube so it'll act as a conduit itself.

I'm out of town until Saturday night, so I hope that this will give the model parts time to cure and the saucer warp will be under control enough to continue. If it's good, then I can start putting in the fiber optics. At the least, I'll prepare the electronics and decide where I'll be mounting this.

I still have to determine how I'm going to replace the rear end with clear resin.

One step at a time. This model is challenging, but I like that.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:15 PM

KUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to all

I just took a look at the Casimiro drawings again and they actually are pretty nice! I'll have to compare the Sinclair main dimensions and see how they agree.

Keep us posted on your progress. I want to do one too but just don't have any spare time...