Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 10-06-2011, 06:25 AM
Bringing good things to life

ShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LastBattlestar's Galactica: 10 years in the making

That's it Mike, you nailed it!
The parts you made look so much better.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:40 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Thanks Jim, I just missed you with my next round of annoying questions. The reality is that I'm a long way from the main lighting (after painting), but would like to light my bay interiors for starters.

I quickly hooked up one of the engine lights. on second thoughts, they may be bright enough for a display model. I don't want the whole room lighting up! The hex mesh does a nice job of focusing the light rearward. I call this pic, 'Escape from the giant Dremel'.

Ideally, a variable LED light level would be ideal, but I'm not sure on the technical side of that? Same with the window lighting, adjustable until it looks right for display in any conditions. Hmmm.

Mike
Old 10-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Bringing good things to life

ShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBattlestar View Post
Thanks Jim, I just missed you with my next round of annoying questions.

Ideally, a variable LED light level would be ideal, but I'm not sure on the technical side of that? Same with the window lighting, adjustable until it looks right for display in any conditions. Hmmm.

Mike
I wish i was asked more questions
Ill get back to you on the previous post when Im back in the workshop later.

I wouldn't bother with variable LED fixtures. The dimmer circuitry in them pumps out a tremendous amount of heat. Your better off using thin white paper to diffuse the light.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:28 AM
Eats Roots,Shoots and Leaves

Wombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati God

Good Lord, that re working looks incredible! Big thumbs up on the transformation to that area. The primer shows just how good it is now which was worth the effort when it turns out looking like that.

Well in the pictures that light looks pretty bloody bright, but to the eye i'm sure it's not that good. Did you remove your light defuser and replace with paper or is that with the 3mm stuff still in place? For the pictures it looks good whichever it is!

Now, keep at it!!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Studio Model Archeologist

star-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to all

I've been designing a complete modular wire harness and lighting system for this ship and I would advise against using line voltage lamps (LED or otherwise) as the wiring process can be very dangerous. If anything goes wrong, enough heat can be generated to damage or even destroy the model. A simple short in line voltage wiring can start a fire that can burn down your house.

In addition, line voltage LED lamps have conversion circuitry onboard to convert to low voltage DC and this generates heat. That heat is not necessary if you simply use 12V DC lamps instead and thus bypass the energy-wasting conversion process.

I wasn't aware variable brightness LED bulbs might generate even more heat. This is another reason to go with 12V lamps.

With a 12V system, your main transformer should be located outside the model. This way, only two wires need run into the model (12V+ and ground). You can step down the voltage as needed for electronics boards using power supply chips or modules inside the ship. This would be a far safer approach than having live 110V or 220V wires inside the model!

BTW, you can dim some 12V LED light bulbs. Many models state specifically they cannot be dimmed so you may have to search a bit to find just the right bulbs. Since models come and go, be sure to get some spares for future replacement just in case.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:13 PM

Big Al New face in the crowd

Hey Brother I found you and I must say that you are indeed a master modeler.

I will check this site much more often now.

Big Al
Old 10-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Just a very quick update as it's REALLY early Monday morning.

Big Al, good to see that you finally made it here. Keep an eye on all these Galactica threads; we have 4 or 5 with reasonably regular progress.

Charles, don't worry, the globes are 12V LED. They are just really chunky and look like 240-volters! I do have one major problem in that regard: the power supply/controller for my landing lights uses a 240V transformer. I'm gonna have to do some lateral thinking to get that setup to work safely. More on that later.

Here are a few quick pics of the port bay interior module I cranked out this evening. Looking in from the bay opening, it looks really cool. Instead of the view receding into nothing, there will be a big hangar fire door or something at the end. I didn't want to go the forced-perspective route, just a real scale hangar. I can't wait to light it all up. BATTLE STATIONS!

Mike
Old 10-16-2011, 11:47 AM

star-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to allstar-art is a name known to all

That looks great! It's exactly what I was doing with my build, though I never got the interior assembled of course (the build was put on indefinite hold and has since been sold). Mine was designed to extend to just aft of the center cross pipe. Then, there would be some sort of hangar door. Same concept. I'm glad to see it would have worked brilliantly.

The one thing I did that I have not seen anyone else try is mounting all this to a slide-out tray. My theory was it would allow me to finish the model first and the interior later.

I attached the tray to the rear end cap. To access the interior, you would first pop off the front bay end cap to disconnect the wiring. Then, pop out the rear end cap and slide the whole assembly out the aft end of the bay.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Please forgive me. I'm German.

BSG_TOS is a jewel in the roughBSG_TOS is a jewel in the roughBSG_TOS is a jewel in the roughBSG_TOS is a jewel in the roughBSG_TOS is a jewel in the roughBSG_TOS is a jewel in the rough

That is a really great start. If you put all your energy and creativity in this unique areas ... as you are well known for ... your battlestar will become a rare diamond. Can't wait to see this finished.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

Thanks guys, it has been fun side-tracking off into this. I'm enjoying building in a few items seen in the show, yet not on the studio model. There is a lot planned for the lighting, but it will always be able to be viewed in 'standard' configuration.

We are definitely on the same wavelength Charles. A few times I've thought that things might be a bit close to your designs for the CR Galactica, but generally they seem to be the most effective way of doing it. Often I've modified something completely oblivious to the CR Gal, then discovered a pic and said 'OH, NO'!

My bay interior does have aluminium L-section runners, so it will slide out. I haven't decided whether to attach the module to the end cap yet. I'll work that out when I get the lighting in place, but it would be simpler to have just one piece to remove.

A few more pics; I greebled up the hangar side of the bay with a few little cranes and deck equipment. Oh, how I would love some tiny photo etched zig zag trusses as seen in the life sized hangar set! Some little Vipers would be nice too....Baltar's Raider...I have some shuttles already....EA Destroyer....

It looks like an aircraft carrier flight deck doesn't it? Job done.

I'm going to rebuild the little arches at the bay entrance. I made them progressively higher toward the rear like the studio model, but it ain't working for me. That trick looked good on camera to avoid perspective issues I guess, but cutting those side ribs in increasing size by hand was pure hell!

Mike
Old 10-17-2011, 10:49 AM

Wow! Very nice. Some 3D-printed accessories like ships and support equipment would finish this off nicely (no molding or casting necessary).
Old 10-17-2011, 11:03 AM

padawan-builder is a glorious beacon of lightpadawan-builder is a glorious beacon of lightpadawan-builder is a glorious beacon of lightpadawan-builder is a glorious beacon of lightpadawan-builder is a glorious beacon of lightpadawan-builder is a glorious beacon of lightpadawan-builder is a glorious beacon of lightpadawan-builder is a glorious beacon of lightpadawan-builder is a glorious beacon of lightpadawan-builder is a glorious beacon of light

Charles,
I am going to be doing something similar on mine too. I had thought about the 3-D printing option, but last I looked into it, they all required a file format I was not familiar with; STL I think it was.
What is your experience with this and what we I need to provide the 3-D printer if I wanted to "populate" my landing bay?

Mike, yours is looking very cool. I was actually planning on doing about 8 inches in and then having a forced perspective painting at that point. I was going to make the 8 inch interior slightly forced perperspective so as to "blend" with the painting, but not sure how that would look or if it would even work. I have the option to go the lenght of the bay, if I need to.

THX,

Mel
Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 AM

padawan-builder is a glorious beacon of lightpadawan-builder is a glorious beacon of lightpadawan-builder is a glorious beacon of lightpadawan-builder is a glorious beacon of lightpadawan-builder is a glorious beacon of lightpadawan-builder is a glorious beacon of lightpadawan-builder is a glorious beacon of lightpadawan-builder is a glorious beacon of lightpadawan-builder is a glorious beacon of lightpadawan-builder is a glorious beacon of light

Hey,
Had another thought too, that has been rattleing around in the back of my brain. I know, I know, so many comments could be made right now.

Anyway, my son and I have been learning LightWave the last couple of years, and I thought wouldn't it be cool if you could find a device small enough to place were the forced perspective painting would have gone. Technology is getting small enough now, there is bound to be something soon that would not be too cost prohibitive. If so, you could create a scene in LightWave. Save the animation out as a movie format compatible with whatever device you end up using; then run it in a loop on the screen.

Now that would be cool to look into the landing bay and see a little "live action" scene. Anyway, just a thought. Not there yet with my Lightwave skills and don't know of a device that would fit the bill, but .......

Mel
Old 10-17-2011, 04:21 PM

That's a really cool idea. I've thought about that as well. We need a talented filmmaker to shoot some elements (people in costume, support vehicles driving around, etc.) and composite that with a landing bay set, Vipers, and shuttles to make a scene that can be looped.

If you check some of the sites where people are talking about gadgets and electronic projects (SparkFun comes to mind), they have tiny screens now that will play videos. The trick with the G is finding a screen in a wide format that will fit the bay opening, sort of like a screen from a smart phone. Then, the trick is finding something you can actually make work without requiring a degree in embedded systems engineering. LOL

Now we may be getting OT, sorry Mike. To answer your other question RE: 3D models, it's a bit tricky there as well. Many people make what I call "pretty" models meant for rendering and animation. For output in the real world, however, you need a model that is "watertight" and engineered to be printable.

Something this small would be printed solid. But, you can make parts that are hollow as well. Each machine has its own specs for things like minimum layer thickness, min. size for a feature to print, etc. You may have to tailor the model so it can output on a specific machine.

Once you have all that figured out, you must output in STL format. Some programs are better at this than others. I use Rhino to engineer all my miniature structures. That is ideal for manufacturing, but it does not always do the best job of creating STL. The more complex and detailed the part, the more likely you will run into problems. The resulting mesh must be clean and free of major errors before it can run through the machine.

Most vendors have automated tools to fix and repair meshes. But, they can't work miracles so you have to do your part first. If your mesh is watertight and reasonably clean (i.e. error free), their software can fix any little things that might be wrong and get it output successfully.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Glacial Pace Builder

Little printed ships and equipment? Make it happen guys. Wasili is getting some tiny parts CNC machined for his APC kit. Vipers should be easy.

Custom Replicas do offer scaled Vipers and Raiders which are very nice also. I really need to divert some food and shelter funds into getting some. What else is new?

Now, the animated screen is a mind bogglingly cool idea. RED ALERT! Now watch the pilots scrambling to their ships and taxiing to the launch tubes! I think animations would be ultra cool in something like Lasse's Tantive build, or a Sandcrawler cockpit, animated X wing control panels.... the list goes on. Jason E had a minis creen in his 1/12 Viper, now that looked good.

The trouble is, most people don't realise that the bay opening is only roughly 3 X 0.5 inches. It's actually quite hard to see in there, impossible if your model is fenced off at a show. BUT, having said that, we will know what's in there and that's all that counts.

Mike