Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 08-12-2008, 08:58 PM
They have a plan...

t2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant future
Default Re: LastBattlestar's Galactica: 10 years in the making

Hey Mike,
Glad to see you were able to fix the paint issue.

Regarding a few questions you had a few posts back.

I did not use any filler on this build. I believe I duplicated Apogee in that at the seam points, they 'covered' them up with greeblies or plastruct channels/T's. In the case of the rear end cap, it was the use of the C channels to cover the seam lines.

Regarding the panther/bridge parts. There are definitely R and L parts. I didn't have access at the time to the kit, so I scratched mine, they came out pretty close. I'm sure we have a member or two here that has the kit that might be able to share the dims or parts? I also believe Jim K was offering up those in his parts if I recall.

Keep up the GREAT work, yours looks great!!

-Sean
Old 08-14-2008, 04:29 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Thanks Sean. I feel so much better now regarding your use of filler. I did the same thing in 1999 and left the heavily-greebled joint areas quite primitive, knowing they would be covered up.

I only used filler along the top edges of the head, top bay seams and a few little spots here and there. Trouble is, a few places under the bay arm/main body joint and the waist section are cracking. The model is just so large that temp changes and handling cause the cracking of some joints.

Holy crapola- you scratched those little Panther parts on the bridge Sean? They looks perfect! Surely you made just one and cast multiples? Just when I think you are already a massively skilled modeller, sorry, modeler, you show something new which blows me away!

Mike, Oz
Old 08-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Bringing good things to life

ShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond repute

WOW - those scratched panther parts look spot on. I'm just about to add these little guys to my bridge.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:43 PM
They have a plan...

t2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant futuret2sides has a brilliant future

Mike, you crack me up!!! But yes, I did indeed scratch Each and every one of those, no casting. I wish I'd had the parts, but this still worked fine, and I don't want to redo it.

Jim, good to see you! Can't wait to see some updates, I'm sure yours looks incredible. Ahh, those original parts look sooooo good!

BTW, I had the "G" and the Big Enterprise and some small ships on display at the recent "66th World Science Fiction Convention" here in Denver last weekend. Thanks to Rick Sternbach, he had me invited to show the work. Rick was the Artist Guest of Honor at the show, and had some fantastic artwork on display. The "Hugo Awards" were also held Saturday night, very cool.

Here's a pic one of the show guests sent me and a second one where you can see how big the room was, to give you an idea of the display area and a pic of Rick and I with the Enterprise. Whenever I get around to updating my site, I'll get some good pics of the G and this show up. (Sorry for the 'sidebar' in your thread Mike).

Can't wait for more updates!!
-Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GandE.jpg (338.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg RicknSean.jpg (151.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg EnG2.jpg (60.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-15-2008, 02:06 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Hi Jim, good to hear from you, as always. Thanks for the pic of those parts. I had always thought that the little gun-shaped Panther parts were all one piece, not just the little 'trigger' bits.

Sean, the Gal and E look ferkin' amazing on display! What's next, a 19 foot Rodger Young? Jim has a couple of pics of that.

I've been looking at the pic of your scratched Panther parts. Did you just use styrene stock to build the little trigger parts? It's amazing how identical to each other you got them. I'm going to attempt to rebuild my bridge as a removable module soon. At the moment it is fixed to the upper hull and the top lifts off.

Can anyone clue me in on the height of the bridge sidewalls. I'm a lazy bugger these days.

Mike, Oz
Old 08-15-2008, 05:32 AM
Eats Roots,Shoots and Leaves

Wombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati God

^
Mike,
I don't think anyone building a SS Galactica could be called lazy!!

Crazy,Insane or Nuts perhaps?
Old 08-15-2008, 08:21 AM
A Poor Widow's Son

137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold

Love those photos! The crossover fanboy in me is pretty worked up right now.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:08 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

Man, that Galactica looks cool. What are you doing Sean, signing autographs for your adoring model geek fans?

I'd better get my kit part questions to you submitted soon, before you forget what they all are. I've just been so damn busy, Nikki's having dramas with a Neo Nazi new boss and my bills are exceeding my hobby budget by a factor of 1262:1. It's either plenty of time and no money, or having some money and no time. I just can't get it synchronized lately.

Mike, Oz
Old 08-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Count Baltar

birdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of All

Its great to the Enterprise and Galactica in the same pic. Wonderful models. Wish I could have been there to see them.

Mark
Old 08-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Glacial Pace Builder

Update 4.30am, 17/8/2008

Well, inspired by Sean's amazing pic of his Galactica bridge, I spent a few hours tonight rebuilding mine. It's now a complete module for ease of interior access instead of just the top being removable. I have it mostly detailed and have installed some of my temporary fibres to see how it looks lit up. I still can't get an Akagi kit for the little details, unfortunately.

I just can't attempt the little 'trigger' Panther parts right now!

I'm quite pleased with how it looks so far. I must now go to bed.

Mike, Oz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg galIMGP0071.jpg (368.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg galIMGP0072.jpg (320.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg galIMGP0073.jpg (339.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Studio Scale Pack Rat

Richard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of All

Mike,

Looking very good there mate! if you still don't have the Akagi parts in about 4 or 5 months when I start my casting attempts, I will cast up a set of them for you if you would like..

Richard
Old 08-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Count Baltar

birdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of All

Richard would it be possible for you to take t2sides pic on page 22 of the Galactica and Enterprise in the same shot and take away the back ground and replace it with stars so it would look like the Galactica and Enterprise meeting in space. I think that would be a very cool pic.

Your bridge looks great Mike. Amazing work.

Mark
Old 08-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Studio Scale Pack Rat

Richard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of All

Birdtree,

Sure I could do that, but the polar lights 1/1000 scale Enterprise is almost in scale with the 1/960 scale SS Battlestar so they would not be in sinc size wise..

Richard
Old 08-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Count Baltar

Thanks Richard

I understand the scale,I just they look cool together in the pic.

Thanks again Richard.

Mak
Old 08-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Studio Scale Pack Rat

Birdtree,

Very rough and very quick...

Enjoy!!

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: png First Contact.png (374.1 KB, 0 views)