Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 10-17-2013, 10:11 PM

aptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant future
Default Starship Armstrong

Its the Starcraft kit with full hull decals.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Starship Armstrong

Dennis does great work, don't he?

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:39 AM

aptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant future

The model itself is quite nice, very nicely detailed and executed. I have only a few nit picks.

First, the center nacelle to pylon join is poor. In fact, the slot for the mounting tab to attach to is off center, so getting it right is sort of bothersome. Second, the decals, while beautiful, are slightly off. Even cutting along the grid lines you wind up with small uncovered areas, so the sizing isn't quite right. Having said that, this has been a fun build, so far.

Now, the above issues are fixable with a little common sense and basic modeling skills. However, the one serious thing is that the nacelle bussard scoops or whatever they are in the nuTrek Verse are oversized compared to the diameter of the nacelles. Perhaps I just got a poor cast, but they are significantly oversized. I had to do some sanding to get anything near a smooth transition between the two parts, or else there would have been a significant ledge there between the two. That will also impact the fit of the nacelles' panel decals.

Anyway, all of that being said, its still a very fun build and I would still recommend it. I may get a Mayflower or Defiant to round out the nuTrek verse.

Bob

Last edited by aptivaboy; 10-18-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

I don't have these kits but I do have the Gizmotron ones which I believe are smaller (they are supposed too be 1/2500 but are based on the big JJ Prise) overall in size.

I wonder how they compare side to side.

His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:00 PM

I also cannot understand why the decals are pinkish purple! I'm guessing the printer was nearly out of ink. Whatever, it will make for an interesting look.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Oh my!

Looks like he tried to make it a "steel/burnt magnesium" type color.

His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

Which one of the ship designs is this, exactly? I'm not intimately familiar w/the designs from the JJ-'Verse.

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 10-19-2013, 02:40 AM
Oh my!

It's based on one of the starships seen when the Enterprise goes into warp with the fleet to take on Nero.

His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Battlestar Triton

Yes, I know that. I'm asking which one of those five or six designs it is.

Smart ass....

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 10-19-2013, 01:47 PM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

Uh, it's the Armstrong. :-p

Old 10-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Battlestar Triton

'K, now I'm really confused, as that doesn't match up w/the pics of Bob's model. The model has an aft extension off the saucer, while the pic doesn't show one, looking more like the middle nacelle is attached to the central lower section and has a strut going up to the rollbar...?

Old 10-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post

Yes, I know that. I'm asking which one of those five or six designs it is.

Smart ass....
Wasn't meaning to be.

I don't think they were ever named specifically as a class. I'm pretty sure (but don't hold me to the flames) that Angelo just named his whatever he wanted to. I also think that a couple of those aren't canon.

I can tell you that Angelo named his as the Arizona, Hood, Constellation and Hornet classes. In addition to the Kelvin.

His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:59 AM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
'K, now I'm really confused, as that doesn't match up w/the pics of Bob's model. The model has an aft extension off the saucer, while the pic doesn't show one, looking more like the middle nacelle is attached to the central lower section and has a strut going up to the rollbar...?
I'm pretty sure Bob's pictures are of the bottom of the saucer, and the
extension you're seeing is where the center nacelle attaches. Maybe the picture I posted isn't 100% accurate to the screen model, or maybe the kit isn't. Shrug.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:55 AM

I'll post more pics in a day or so. Most of the hull decals are on, and some of the engine decals. I just really have to do the center nacelle to pylon join. That's the one big bug a boo.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:01 AM

The pics are actually of the dorsal side. There is a Reliant like weapons rollbar that plugs into the little depressions on the sides of the saucer, and then actually mounts atop that centerline extrusion. Its definitely different that Zysurge's image, which has no centerline extrusion. I actually like that its there since it gives the rollbar some additional stability and another gluing surface.

Bob