Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 05-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Resident JLH Groupie

DaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati God
Default AMT/Ertl Ent-D

Well, I've bitched about this thing for long enough. It's about time I posted a couple of pics of it.

I've been working on this thing on and off for roughly 6 years (as you could probably tell by the yellowing decals). It's nothing fancy. No lights or shuttle bays or anything like that. It's just a straight build. However, this is the first time I attempted to add aztecing to any Star Trek model. And all of the paint, with the exception of the phaser strips, was applied with a toothpick

I still have the second nacelle to put together, as well as some minor painting to still do. One of these years, I'll get around to completing this thing so I can finish my AMT/Ertl Defiant (DS9).

Okay boys, tear her apart with your comments
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ent-D Saucer Top.jpg (279.7 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Ent-D Saucer Bottom.jpg (248.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Ent-D Engineering Top.jpg (223.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Ent-D Engineering Bottom.jpg (239.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Ent-D Nacelle Top.jpg (281.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Ent-D Nacelle Bottom.jpg (272.3 KB, 37 views)

The problem with America is stupidity. Now I don't believe in capital punishment for stupidity. However, I think we should just take all the safety labels off everything and let Mother Nature fix the problem herself.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:58 PM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: AMT/Ertl Ent-D

Nice ! How do you paint with a toothpick ?

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."
Old 05-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Resident JLH Groupie

DaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati God

Very carefully

I guess it's like using a one-hair paint brush, except I never used one. I just dip the toothpick far enough into the paint to grab a tiny bit of paint, and then apply it to the model. It worked great for the long windows on the saucer. When I needed just a bit more paint (for the aztecing), I rounded off the edge of a toothpick so it would grab a little more paint.

I've also found that the toothpick method also works great for painting freeze plugs and engine bolts on any car model (which hopefully will show up on my engine pics for my Buick Regal build).

The problem with America is stupidity. Now I don't believe in capital punishment for stupidity. However, I think we should just take all the safety labels off everything and let Mother Nature fix the problem herself.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:38 PM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God

Interesting painting technique.
I've used a sharpened toothpick to make small round windows on my 1/2500 builds but nothing as extensive as what you have done. Cudos to you for your patience !

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."

Last edited by Trekriffic; 05-20-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Sean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati God

Nice job so far. Painting with a toothpick - now that's very innovative.

I built this kit a loooong time ago and remember it well. Fun! Have fun with it and keep us posted.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:40 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God

HOLY SHIT!

Great results- but then considering the "toothpick method"?

Wow, that's patience for ya I guess?

Old 05-19-2009, 08:29 PM
JAFO

PakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of All

Nice..

You have a bit more courage than I do wit the azteking.

I've built 2.....well....1 1/2 of these over the years and have 2 more on the shelf waiting to get done "right".

I think I'm gonna cheat and just use talons decal set.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:42 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

That rocks, Goose!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God
Thumbs up Re: AMT/Ertl Ent-D

Holy shit indeed! I think that's a little more dedication than I could bring myself to do. Nice job!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:53 PM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

A damn fine piece of work!

Great job on the aztek pattern and overall detailing.

For what it's worth...I use the "tooth pick method" too.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Yeah... I'm the Fat Guy

Voyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of All

Damn Rob...

Now that's persistant if anything...lol

Great thinking with the toothpick for a brush.

I disagree.

I believe that a mans destiny is predetermined.

He just needs to be able to recognize the right path of the many he will face to be able to achieve that destiny
Old 05-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

Lookin' good, Rob.

Only "tearin' apart" I'll do is to suggest you finish the damned thing! Yeah, I said that with a straight face. Mostly....

Seriously, tho, I'd pull the decals currently on there and get a set of aftermarket. PNT Models makes a nice one, IMNSHO. Before applying the decals, I'd see if there's any way for you to mist a very light, thinned mix of the base coat with an airbrush to bring those bright colors down a bit. Gloss coat or use Future and then put the decals down with one more very light mist of the base coat.

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!