Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 05-27-2009, 12:38 PM

RKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gene's Viper-in-a-month

Regarding the colour of the Viper I believe the answer is displayed in the Apogee photos.

In the image below the can in the foreground is 100% made by Zynolyte and gray is visible on the line below. I have a completely different image that clearly shows a can with the label Zynolyte Light Gray Hot Rod Primer.
I suspect that's what the label reads on the can in the image below. The can in the background is also clearly light gray.

No question the vipers are 100% light grey. I can see no reason why they would spray another grey on top of a grey primer so it's logical to think this hot rod grey is the actual base colour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Viper Colour.jpg (263.6 KB, 367 views)
Old 05-27-2009, 12:42 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Cripes.

It *would* have to be Zynolyte.

That stuff is extremely HTF.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:37 PM

GKvfx has disabled reputation

See, that's the thing - I think they used a medium gray (a Light Ghost Gray if I were using Testors Model Masters paints) as their basecoat - not a pure white. Looking at modern photos of the Vipers as they are today, I see a gray basecoat with a liberal application of weathering. What I don't see is evidence of a light gray (or white) that has been darkened to a medium gray by weathering. There are some areas where I can clearly see the basecoat (no weathering on top of it) showing and it looks like a medium gray. I'm familiar with the military modeling technique where you spray a basecoat of one color and then use a series of filters or washes of thinned oil paint to subtly change the colors. But the Vipers don't look like they had that done to them.

But, quite frankly, I don't have time to care. I'm going to try and find some Tamiya Spray Paint (the best spraypaint that I've discovered) and use that. If it get me close, I'm happy. I'll post some photos of swatch samples when I get to painting this thing (hopefully over the weekend).

Gene
Old 05-27-2009, 03:15 PM

RKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond repute

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Viper Colour 2.jpg (527.3 KB, 346 views)
Old 05-27-2009, 06:56 PM

OTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKvfx View Post
See, that's the thing - I think they used a medium gray (a Light Ghost Gray if I were using Testors Model Masters paints) as their basecoat - not a pure white. Looking at modern photos of the Vipers as they are today, I see a gray basecoat with a liberal application of weathering. What I don't see is evidence of a light gray (or white) that has been darkened to a medium gray by weathering. There are some areas where I can clearly see the basecoat (no weathering on top of it) showing and it looks like a medium gray. I'm familiar with the military modeling technique where you spray a basecoat of one color and then use a series of filters or washes of thinned oil paint to subtly change the colors. But the Vipers don't look like they had that done to them.

But, quite frankly, I don't have time to care. I'm going to try and find some Tamiya Spray Paint (the best spraypaint that I've discovered) and use that. If it get me close, I'm happy. I'll post some photos of swatch samples when I get to painting this thing (hopefully over the weekend).

Gene
I think your outnumbered Gene, I have one of the screen used lower wings and it is DEFINATELY a VERY light grey with a shitload (if thats a real word!) of various colors (browns, greens, and blacks) as weathering. I'll get it to you on Friday so you can have a look.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:30 PM

Pending the look see at OtisT's part, I'm still not convinced. The shade of gray in RKW's pic above is very close to the photos we've seen of the Vipers in their present day state. RKW's picture also has good color and brightness (looking at it on my monitor), so I'd probably take that as the gospel. I've seen the photos of the guys weathering the Vipers, and they are all really heavy-handed. (I doubt the real thing would win a prize at Wonderfest.)

Ehhh, we'll see. So long as it looks like a Viper (and I get it done in time), I'm not going to care how it gets done.

Gene
Old 05-28-2009, 12:06 AM

OK, I came home and sprayed seven different shades of Tamiya gray on some other Viper parts (after laying down a basecoat of black, just like the Viper casting I'm working on has). This photo isn't the best (I'll dig up a proper color chart tomorrow), but it gives you an idea of the relative shades of gray I had on hand.

The bad news is that none of the colors here work for the Viper. The good news is that I found a decent light gray (AS-20) for the 'V' fighter I got from George a while back. And TS-32, believe it or not, is damn good out-of-the-can color for those of you working on a studio scale TIE Fighter.

I'll pick up some additional cans of gray and spray some more.

Gene

PS - I hope I don't need these other Viper wings any time soon.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ViperGraySwatches.jpg (124.2 KB, 346 views)
Old 05-28-2009, 12:13 AM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

Gene... are you planning on having this finished for display in the viewing you spoke to me about? I would enjoy seeing a Viper you built in person! Jon's AB Raider as well! hint hint...lolololol

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 05-28-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhn Global View Post
Gene... are you planning on having this finished for display in the viewing you spoke to me about? I would enjoy seeing a Viper you built in person! Jon's AB Raider as well! hint hint...lolololol
Yep - this whole exercise is for that screening. And speaking of that screening, I think there may be a surprise goody there for you to see. Not telling what - it's just a shameless plug to get you there. Trust me. As the Aero's "Minister of Geekiness", it's going to be a blowout......

OK now, on with the Viper -

I found a couple more cans of gray spray paint and I made another swatch last night -

Based on the photos I'm using, (and what I think looks 'right'), the Krylon Pewter Gray is the closest out-of-the-can match, with the Tamiya Fine Primer a close second. Not perfect, but I think I could use either paint and come up with a nice model. The bad news is that the Krylon stuff took a couple of applications to get the same coverage I got with the Tamiya stuff in one application. Now, I was rushing things (and drying the paint with a hairdryer between colors), so that may have affected it. I had so-so results with the same paint on a TIE Fighter I did a couple of years ago, so I'm suspicious about anything Krylon. I may try decanting it into a jar and running it through my airbrush. That is, if I can't find a Tamiya paint that is a dead match.

Here are some photos of the swatches on a color chart -

Under 'normal' tungsten light (my bathroom) -

Outside - overcast daylight -

Under my workbench light, which is a bright halogen -

I used the in-camera settings for each lighting setup. To be completely anal, I should have custom white balanced the camera in each setup to the white square on the chart. So sue me. If OtisT can get me a real wing, I'll put it next to the swatches and we can see how it compares. (When the hell did you get that wing, Jon? You holding out on me?)

As I was doing this last night, I realized that I had become just like one of my old bosses in VFX - he was completely scientific about color and stuff like that. I had to arrange hundreds of little clips of film from Cameron's TITANIC in a specific order so we could review the color. If there was one little variable that we hadn't accounted for, I had to repeat the process. Bleehh. Well, at least this is for something cool. Wait, its a model from a really bad '70's TV show. Maybe I have killed too many brain cells with the paint.......

More later,

Gene
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ViperModel_PaintSwatches 006.jpg (124.2 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg ViperModel_PaintSwatches 004.jpg (130.5 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg ViperModel_PaintSwatches 005.jpg (133.8 KB, 923 views)
File Type: jpg ViperModel_PaintSwatches 007.jpg (151.3 KB, 321 views)
Old 05-28-2009, 12:33 PM

Peagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of All

What's the TS-32? That looks good for the TIE Interceptor

~Pete~
Old 05-28-2009, 12:37 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKvfx View Post
'V' fighter I got from George a while back.

V Fighter?!? PERK!
Old 05-28-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peagis View Post
What's the TS-32? That looks good for the TIE Interceptor
TS-32 is called Haze Gray. All the TS- and AS- numbers are part of the Tamiya spraypaint line. I think there is more blue in the TIE Interceptor, but yes, this is a nice blue-gray.

Gene
Old 05-28-2009, 01:01 PM
SUPATRPR"littering&..."

belleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud of

Gene, Funny you went with a pewter gray, my best test shot to date has been that color but in valspars paint line. Of course, I'm using that for the 1/12, and the infamous IJA light gray with some blue gray added for the 1/24, monogram 1/32 and some white added to those for the 1/72 joyride rework. Vipers are spreading like a rash, I have 4 TOS on the bench right now, they're kinda like tribbles.. . . LOL

For the stripes I am using hopper orange for the 24/32 builds and toned down for the 72. I'm hoping to try out a forced perspective with all 4 when done, so the scale effect will be tested on these. For the 12 build, I have a color I'm giving a test shot on the pewter tonight.

What are you looking at for the orange and the dark gray?

Ryan
Old 05-28-2009, 01:23 PM

The older I get, the less concerned I am with getting the color exactly right. Let's face it, these things are heavily weathered, and the basecoat is just that - a basecoat. I found a great place out here that can mix up automotive paints if you bring in a swatch. If I can get OtisT's wing out of his grubby hands I might take it to them. But if one of the colors I have is "close enough", then I might go that route. Notice how the swatches look different in the different lighting setups. It's going to look close anyways, but it may look 'off' if you compare a photo taken of the Viper in daylight if your model is indoors.

In the past, I used a Gunship Gray (Model Masters enamel) and some orange I got from the Floquil line. If they contrast with the basecoat, I'll stick with them.

I generally don't do the scale-effect trick unless I am specifically trying to do a forced perspective miniature. But my military planes all featured subdued tones anyways. I'm a big fan of mixing a little bit of paint (either a sand color or a gray color) into my flat clear coats when I overspray the decals. It blends things together quite well.

Gene
Old 05-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Eats Roots,Shoots and Leaves

Wombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati God

Gee if ya can get that wing off Jon that would be sweet.
Hell,get four litres mixed up if ya do,i'll take a litre of ya hands.

So far though outa you tests there i like that Krylon Pewter Gray the most.