Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 05-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God
Default Last Battlestar's Studio Scale Moldy Crow

Well, maybe not studio scale, but it is big and it made you look!

The Corellian Engineering Corporation HWK290: the saga begins.

I have been admiring Stefan's (HackCore) incredible Moldy Crow replica for a little while now over at the Phoxim forums and then more recently, here. It's really one of those oddball designs that appeal to me, something very cool, but a little more obscure than mainstream Star Wars ships. After Stefan supplied me with some blueprints (THANKS Stefan!), I just had to build it!

I had a large sheet of styrene already hanging around. Total cost of build not including supplies already here for the Galactica project, about 10 bucks!

So it begins....

Basic configuration. This bird is BIG, about 600mm or 2 feet long! I didn't build it to any scale but to my own taste (1:BIG), but it works out to about 1:36 for the nitpickers out there.

Master for four engine exhausts...

Tail fins and support pods complete:

First engine exhaust castings out of the mould:

On a side note, everything you see here was done in almost exactly a 48 hour time frame. I'm really wanting to throw myself into the hobby this coming winter, so Saturday evening the TV went off, the 80's music went on and a couple of Slate and Cola's went down.

I need a bigger bench. Or room. House, possibly...

I can't wait to start detailing this bird. I have TONS of cool cast greeblies waiting! I hope you like here and again, a big thanks to Stefan for the inspiration and assistance.

Mike, Oz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crow.jpg (711.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg crow1.jpg (368.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg crow2.jpg (394.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg crow3.jpg (358.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg crow4.jpg (364.1 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by LastBattlestar; 08-09-2009 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Put missing photos back in!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Groovy tunes.

Sci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Last Battlestar's Studio Scale Moldy Crow

Hell yeah, Mike! Very cool project! I love the Mouldy Crow.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:49 PM

Hackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond repute

Hoooooooly Crow!!

Studio Scale?

Mike that is really impressive work so far. I love the engine exhausts parts.
Wow and so much cool pics! Really cool!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Eats Roots,Shoots and Leaves

Wombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati God

Thats some impressive work there,Mike.
Extraordinary what you've cranked out in just a couple of days.
Looking very good thus far!
Hell,at this rate you'll be back on the G within a couple of weeks!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:14 PM
I Am Sofa King We Todd Ed

mackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant future

Holy Crap! NNNIIIICCCCEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Shit got real.

HWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati God

That rocks!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:19 PM

Elkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant future

Mike, I know scratch building is very fullilling and rewarding and this one is way cool but please get to work on that beauty in the background, shes begging to be touched
Old 05-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Incredible work man. I love that ship.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Can't Member

Mensaboy has a brilliant futureMensaboy has a brilliant futureMensaboy has a brilliant futureMensaboy has a brilliant futureMensaboy has a brilliant futureMensaboy has a brilliant futureMensaboy has a brilliant futureMensaboy has a brilliant futureMensaboy has a brilliant futureMensaboy has a brilliant futureMensaboy has a brilliant future

STYRENE FTW !!!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

OK, the speed build continues. I'm trying to get at least a couple of hours per evening in on this project. It's a nice stress reliever to listen to some tunes and work the resin and styrene.

I built up the side intakes from styrene sheet and some old computer monitor stand plastic thingys:

I couldn't resist. Like any studio scale builder, it's impossible to resist beginning the greeblage before the hull is complete.

Engine exhausts fitted. The engines and tailfin assemblies are all loosely fitted at this point to assist in assembly and painting. I reworked the exhaust master into intakes for the front of the engine cowlings and made another mould.

How she's looking at the end of day four. The tailfins are to spec, but I might taper them in towards the top. I think Stefan modified his that way and they look much better.

Like any good Rebel ship, I figure that the Crow really needs an Astromech unit to assist the pilots, no? My B wing looked a little lonely without an R2 unit, so I'll be adding a greeblie-packed R2 strip on this ship.

So it's not strictly to the Corellian Engineering Corporation HWK290 specs. I'm thinking it's a modified ship drafted into the Yavin Squadron or somethin'. Early days yet, but she'd look cool painted up in an X wing-style scheme wouldn't she?

Mike, Oz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crow1.jpg (419.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg crow2.jpg (337.0 KB, 1371 views)
File Type: jpg crow3.jpg (345.5 KB, 1368 views)
File Type: jpg crow4.jpg (358.9 KB, 1320 views)
File Type: jpg crow5.jpg (342.4 KB, 1454 views)
File Type: jpg crow6.jpg (382.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg crow7.jpg (338.8 KB, 1290 views)
Old 05-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

BTW, thanks Marc and Phil for your concerns regarding my Galactica. Don't worry, she's still my first love and will be getting further attention.
Mike, Oz
Old 05-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

DAY 5

I'm still plowing into this build. I must subconciously want to get back to the Galactica?

I think the ship needs a new name, as it's deviating a lot from the canon Moldy Crow (which had 'Mouldy' spelt incorrectly anyway). Any ideas guys?

I tried a new technique for me tonight: panel line scribing! Never really done much before, but on a 1:35 model it's a must. ( My G isn't scribed much as when it was built, we didn't have much reference at the time. I actually prefer mine without scribing, as I feel that it reduces the impression of size.)

So far so good. The question is, how much is too much? I'm aiming for X wing level, so I think it's close to OK. Very happy!

I've begun cutting out the cockpit window frames in preparation for some fine L-channel detailing around the edges. I still haven't decided whether to build an interior for this model or just have the windows blacked out. It's begging for an interior, I know.

Thanks for lookin'!

Mike, Oz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crow8.jpg (238.0 KB, 1159 views)
File Type: jpg crow9.jpg (326.7 KB, 1158 views)
File Type: jpg crow10.jpg (623.4 KB, 1175 views)

Last edited by LastBattlestar; 05-06-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:51 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Dude, if you're wanting us to pay attention to the Mildewed Raven, you need to blank Galactica out of your pics!

Other than that, my sentiment toward MC is:

Old 05-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Eats Roots,Shoots and Leaves

Wombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati God

Nice progress there,Mike.
Good job on the scribing effort,something i haven't tackled but it look's like you've got the hang of indeed.Ya right though,it does scream for an interior this one.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Glacial Pace Builder

Mildeweed Raven? The 'Raven' name did come up, but has been done to death, no? Arthritic Eagle?

Heh, I do have a huge sheet of black cotton I bought a couple of years back to use as a photographic backdrop/ Galactica dust cover. Never been used. I'd better cover her up for future pics.

An interior would be cool, but I have no idea on how to do all the little gauges and doohickeys. Printed out maybe? What would you prefer, Phil, seeing as you'll be painting it?

Mike, Oz