Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 05-24-2015, 01:34 AM

Hectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 1/1000 Amelia Earhart TOS Transport

I've used Future for years: I spray straight from the bottle at 40psi.
This allows the Future to almost dry as it hits the model.
You can then 'set' it hard with heat from a hair drier.
It does get a bit airborne, but as long as you have a good extraction system or have plenty of fresh air about you will be fine...
I always seal decals with Future (again sprayed at 40psi) and have even on occasion settled down decals with it (but this does not work as good as it used to now they have changed the formula).

To Matt seal; I use Liquitex Matte Varnish (with the orange label), this is thinned 2:1 with De-ionised water and a coupled of drops of Liquitex Flow-aid and again sprayed at 30-40psi.
Never had a bad reaction and it dries dead (and I mean Dead) flat. It's perfect for Star Trek models and really helps with scale especially on 1/2500th.

One word of warning; always clean your airbrush immediately after you have used Future and I mean complete clean.
If you don't clean it thoroughly, you will regret it as it will build up over time and bugger up the workings.
I usually (on gravity brushes): flush through with water, remove handle and needle, clean with cotton bud and cellulose, re-assemble, fill with reamer, part flush, wipe over with reamer, leave for 10 mins, flush through the remaining reamer.
I use a cheap brush for this (Fengda single actions are perfect).

Sounds a pain, but is simple
Old 05-24-2015, 10:14 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Thank you for the great advice Hector! I ended up going with the Model Master Acryl Gloss and Flat Clear combination on my last two projects. Although I did purchase the Future product at the same time - I will try it out on a test piece with the methods shared.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:05 PM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

The Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond repute

I need a Xanax. I thought everything looked pretty good with the Amelia build. That was until I hit the model with the final flat coat. Turns out the clear coat was masking some pretty nasty looking decals. I'm leaving for WF on Thursday so I can't do much about it now. I'll fix what I can and hit the build with a satin coat - maybe that will hide the offending markings.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:37 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Did you use any Solvaset on the decals to snug them down prior to your top clears? Even through the clear, you could still try to apply decal softener if you take the tip of a sharp Xacto to lightly perforate it and allow the solution to get under the decal in the offending areas. While its still wet, roll your finger - wrapped in a clean cloth - to force the decal down and conform completely.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

The Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond repute

I tried floating the decals on with Future. I assumed no decal setting solution would be necessary. I don't think I will be using that technique anymore.

I did poke the decals a bit and some responded. Ah well.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:24 AM

Hectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to behold

I'm still using boring old Microsol & Micro set.
every now and again I use Daco -ultra Bastard setting solution (that would be strong). especially on old AMT/ertl decals that aren't printed my Microscale.
Future used to be good as a setting solution - then they changed the formula and it now sucks a big one.
All in conjunction with Future for Gloss varnish and Liquitex Matte varnish- no problems
Old 06-04-2015, 01:16 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

Beautiful work, Tom! That's an amazing build.

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 07-24-2015, 04:47 PM

aptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant future

I would not want to step on any kit makers toes.

Inspired by is not the same thing as copied. While I'm not a lover of the Franz Josef tug design (the containers going in between the warp drives makes me worry about potential collisions, not to mention being in the way of the warp field), this build is outstanding and I might be interested in one if you ever do kit it up, fundage permitting (that's the big thing for me, right now!).

Seriously, I'm really digging this.

Bob