Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 05-23-2013, 01:44 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: The Queen of Battle: 1/650 D-10 'Riskadh' scratchbuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
I've got an extra 1/2500 Odyssey Slipways D-10 that I'll never build if you want it, Dave. I've got three builtup in my 1/2500 Klingon Fleet, don't feel the need for a fourth, really.
Sure! Hell yes!!!! PM pending!

Keel has been cut and armature made.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:21 PM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

Not wasting any time, are you?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:29 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by zysurge View Post
Not wasting any time, are you?
Fuck no. Need to ride this wave while it's there
Old 05-23-2013, 03:51 PM
A threat to all you hold dear

Location: Directly above the center of the Earth. ( Leander, TX.)
Dr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond repute

After seeing Duncan's work on the D-18s, I'm feel like I ought to take another look at the
FASA designs. I still like the SFB look a little better, but this should be a sexy beast.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:09 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Yo View Post
After seeing Duncan's work on the D-18s, I'm feel like I ought to take another look at the
FASA designs. I still like the SFB look a little better, but this should be a sexy beast.

I think it was Duncan himself at WF who said that the FASA designs are very hit or miss. They're either really really good or really really bad. It seems like they were afraid to get really adventurous with their Federation designs and had some screwy proportions and size issues. They seemed to have better luck designing their Klingon and Romulan ships though.

Go down toward the bottom of the page here and enjoy
Old 05-24-2013, 12:52 PM
A threat to all you hold dear

Location: Directly above the center of the Earth. ( Leander, TX.)
Dr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, damn! That was an education! Great site, and I have to say, now that I
have a little more familiarity with them, there are a fair number of FASA designs that
are high cool...but boy, did they drop the ball into a gravity well with the Gorn.

Thanks kindly for the link, Dave - much appreciated.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:27 PM
It's gonna get real now.

You're very welcome, Doctor Yo!

The hard part's done - main structure for the secondary hull cut out and assembled.

I eyeballed the dimensions of the inlets on the keel plate. Some renditions of the D-10 have them, some don't (The OS 2500th does, and so does the FASA miniature IIRC - I can't find mine right now). It'll be an area ripe for restrained greeblification.

Next up will be making the front bulkhead where the boom attaches and 'skinning' the hull.

Then there'll be an engine box on the bottom behind the keel plate. Think about the big grates on top of a Vor-Cha but almost as wide as the hull. The engine pylons will attach to those.

I'm still at a loss on how to do the shuttle bays. I'm thinking she'd have two, and they'd be big enough to handle troop-carrying craft of some sort.

Last edited by The Cat; 05-24-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:08 PM

cireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of lightcireskul is a glorious beacon of light

Cat

I'll ask you what everyone asks me, "Why dont you cast these conversion parts"?
Old 05-25-2013, 05:50 AM

Heavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond repute

Looking quite good there Cat. Looking forward to seeing this finished.

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."
Old 05-26-2013, 03:17 AM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

Coming along nicely!

Do you need spare nacelles? I'm pretty sure I've got some around here somewhere, if so. I've not sent out the 1/2500 D-10, but plan to get it out Tuesday morning.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:44 PM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

What thickness of plastic sheet are you using?
Old 05-26-2013, 03:45 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Actually, Griff, that would be VERY cool - the engines need to be lengthened, and an extra set would keep me from having to buy another kit just for the engines!!!

THANK YOU!
Old 05-26-2013, 03:46 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-boater View Post
What thickness of plastic sheet are you using?
It's varying - I used .060" for the keel plate, and .040" for the rest so far.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Actually, Griff, that would be VERY cool - the engines need to be lengthened, and an extra set would keep me from having to buy another kit just for the engines!!!

THANK YOU!
Sure thing. Several years back, I purchased a lot of Trek kit parts off eBay, which included a couple of nea- complete D-7's. I'm about to hear to work, but it's supposed to be an early night. Hopefully, I can find them tonight, if not first thing in the morning. I'll LYK what I find.

Regardless, at least the OS D-10 will go out Tuesday.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:13 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cireskul View Post
Cat

I'll ask you what everyone asks me, "Why dont you cast these conversion parts"?
Two things keep me from it: lack of master-making experience, and fundage.

The money is the big thing (isn't it always?) The ship I'm building couldn't exactly be kitted as a conversion because every D-7 kit part is being altered significantly. Plus, it is HUGE, and that translates to 'expensive'. At the price it would no doubt be, people would expect (and rightly so) better quality than I'm able to deliver right now.