Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 05-14-2013, 11:50 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default The Queen of Battle: 1/650 Klingon D-10 'Riskadh' scratchbuild

Ever since I got the FASA Klingon Ship Recognition Manual waaay back in the early '80s, I've wanted a D-10 model. It was my favorite Klingon ship to play in the Starship Combat Simulator. FASA sold a little pewter model of it. I got one then and still love it.

There have been models of it released since in 2500 and 1000 scale. I don't have them (yet!). I've always been drawn to 650th scale though, and there aren't any sold in that scale, soooo....

I did some checking and figured that in 650th scale, she'd be ~18" long. Cool - that's about the same length as the TOS E. So, I found some cleaned-up drawings on the 'net and had them printed out in 650th.

As it turns out, 18" is just about right, and the AMT TOS D-7's head and command decks fit perfectly.

One thing that'll help me out - it seems that every different 'interpretation' of the ship that I've seen has varied considerably in details - so I get to pretty much do my own thing when it comes to that!

Here are a few pics of the comparisons - note the last one has my 650th TOS Miranda in it for scale:

[url=http://s56.photobucket.com/user/ncc1984/media/Models/D-10-4_zpsc4b93781.jpg.html][IMG]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-10boxtoplarge4med_zpsmbf8abqg.jpg (147.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by The Cat; 04-15-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:54 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: The Queen of Battle: 1/650 D-10 'Riskadh' scratchbuild

D-10 command decks. The FASA miniature has slots in the front like the D-7M (Movie K'Tinga) does. So, as a tip of the hat to , my 650th will too.

All the bridge details have been removed for replacement. I have something in mind for it that's about halfway between TOS and TMP D-7.

Last edited by The Cat; 05-14-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:02 PM
SPACESHIP!

Blappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of All

I am looking forward this one. It sure would make a nice kit bit be pretty spendy.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:03 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blappy View Post
It sure would make a nice kit bit be pretty spendy.
Yeah, it would - it won't happen though because I have zero experience building masters.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:04 PM
SPACESHIP!

Blappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of All

Looking at the drawings how will you rectify the top and front views. There appears to be something fanciful going on where the neck connects to the main body.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:05 PM
SPACESHIP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Yeah, it would - it won't happen though because I have zero experience building masters.
Maybe I'll do a kit in 1/350 and find a sucker to buy a copy.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:11 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Looking at the drawings how will you rectify the top and front views. There appears to be something fanciful going on where the neck connects to the main body.
That's another area where I'll be able to play around with it. I figure I'll have to pick my favorite view and alter the others to match, so I'm sticking with the top view.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:12 PM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
There have been models of it released since in 2500 and 1000 scale. I don't have them (yet!).

One thing that'll help me out - it seems that every different 'interpretation' of the ship that I've seen has varied considerably in details - so I get to pretty much do my own thing when it comes to that!
I bought the 1/1000 kit last year at WF. It's a little rough, but I do plan to build it (eventually!)

So you're not going to use the beefier neck as shown in your drawings? Not usre what such a huge ship will look like with such a scrawny neck.

That last picture gives a great idea of just how fracking huge this ship is!!
Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Well - speaking of the neck - I gave that some thought too.

One thing I've noticed about TOS and TMP ships is that almost all of them seem to combine brawny with dainty. Strength with grace. Look at the Connie - big nacelles connected to the thick secondary hull with impossibly thin pylons. To me, that adds a sense of grace to the design. Same with the D-7 - command pod connected to the blade-like engineering hull with the tapering, thin, fragile-looking neck. For some reason, that makes it look more lethal to me. I think a thick neck as shown in these particular drawings would take away from that.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:22 PM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

Excellent point!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:20 PM
SPACESHIP!

There is definitely a unique design esthetic going on with the TOS era ships.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:41 AM
It's gonna get real now.

I think I have figured out how the whole thing is going to go together. Now, I start cutting plastic in the next day or so. Now that WF is over and Miranda is on my shelf, I can give this D-10 my undivided attention.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:26 AM
SPACESHIP!

Quote:
I think I have figured out how the whole thing is going to go together. Now, I start cutting plastic in the next day or so. Now that WF is over and Miranda is on my shelf, I can give this D-10 my undivided attention.
I will be interesting to see what you do. I may follow your lead on how to rectify the views.

BTW you inspired me to get out and old AMT 1/650 TOS-E I started about seventeen years ago and just stopped working on for some reason. Maybe I'll even start a build thread. I just want to do it OOB and finish it so I can fly it aroun.... errr put it on the shelf to look at!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:40 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
BTW you inspired me to get out and old AMT 1/650 TOS-E I started about seventeen years ago and just stopped working on for some reason. Maybe I'll even start a build thread. I just want to do it OOB and finish it so I can fly it aroun.... errr put it on the shelf to look at!

DO IT!!!! Finish it and enjoy it!! Post pics too

Quote:
I will be interesting to see what you do. I may follow your lead on how to rectify the views.
That right there is one reason I've waited so long before starting to cut plastic. I've come to the conclusion that the only way to get this done is to pick which view I like the best and use it as an end-all guide. Then pick my next favorite, and subordinate it to the first. Then the third view will be regarded as just a suggestion.

On this one, it's Top, then Side, then Front. I like the top the best because it has the most useful information about how the ship's laid out.

Odd thing about this ship, it'll be a rather large model, but it won't really have a whole hell of a lot of interior space.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

Sweet! I missed this previously. The D-10 is my second favorite Klingon ship behind the D-7M.

I've got an extra 1/2500 Odyssey Slipways D-10 that I'll never build if you want it, Dave. I've got three builtup in my 1/2500 Klingon Fleet, don't feel the need for a fourth, really.