Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 10-16-2007, 11:38 AM
KirkTrekModeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talen
oh yeah...I have never noticed that..thanks
No problem. Will be working on finishing up the build today and hope to have some updates.

Keep on Trekkin!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:40 PM
KirkTrekModeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech
I noticed in the one pic, on the first page, the nacelle break down....
Will that center dome be cast in clear for those that choose to light the kit. In the pics it looks as though it is in a red or copper color.
There are really only two domes and they are both in clear, the outer dome is covered with a translucent frost. You can definately light this kit, it begs to be lit. i'll be doing a complete set of directions on lighting it and Don has resized his board, for just that reason, as a matter of fact, I've got send him some measurements.

We sold our first two kits. One to a professional and one to a NASA employee. I guess if they like it and think it's acceptable....... Well, that makes me feel a lot better. Also, I'm doing a build up for a client in Holly Wood and have started on the Miranda, we already have parts for the Dreadnought, but I don't know when that will be on the horizon, the Tug and Destroyer are pretty much done!

Trek ON ! Here's some pretty pics! WHOOT!

Got to fix a spot on this decal.....???? Dammit Jim!

Changed the position on the bridge...

Makin up Mars....

Penciled rings....needs a little work....., but looks good to me...
Old 10-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Virtual Artist

jedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud of

Not knowing the GK scene very well, may I ask if it is the norm to spend a coupld of hundred dollars on a kit and still have to trim away the excess plastic from the parts? Do GK customers just expect to have to put more manual TLC into a project? Because it seems to me that $200-$300 spent on a mass-produced model would give you a different sort of product (Fine Molds Falcon, say).

Or am I missing something?

Old 10-17-2007, 02:07 PM
I AM YOUR FATHER

vaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant future

With garage kits it is pretty normal to expect to have to cut off the extra flash. These parts have already been trimmed to what the pictures shows. What it does not show is that there was A LOT more plastic was cut away before shipping. By leaving what flash I did, it provides the builder with enough material to work with. This is different than injection molded that come out attached to sprue.

As for the cost, that is determined by numerous factors: cost of materials, cost to develop the product, cost to produce the product (pulling plastic making molds and pouring resin), time involved and profit margin. As of right now, I know that I will probably not break even on this based on how much it has cost in materials, time, reworking parts, etc. But that is OK. I just want to get this out to everyone to enjoy.

Scott
AW Studios

Keeping Garage Kits Alive!

Old 10-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Griffworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderman1701
With garage kits it is pretty normal to expect to have to cut off the extra flash. These parts have already been trimmed to what the pictures shows. What it does not show is that there was A LOT more plastic was cut away before shipping. By leaving what flash I did, it provides the builder with enough material to work with. This is different than injection molded that come out attached to sprue.
Having built a number of vac-kits, I'll back Scott up on this. More plastic around the parts isn't at all a bad thing as it allows you to adhese the parts together and then trim excess plastic. If you try and do it before hand, you have to deal w/the possibility of cutting too short, which means extra puttying and possible structural weakness.
Quote:
As for the cost, that is determined by numerous factors: cost of materials, cost to develop the product, cost to produce the product (pulling plastic making molds and pouring resin), time involved and profit margin. As of right now, I know that I will probably not break even on this based on how much it has cost in materials, time, reworking parts, etc. But that is OK. I just want to get this out to everyone to enjoy.
And that's the absolute best attitude to have. Thanks for continuing w/the positive waves all thru your posts at the various forii, Scott.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:50 PM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God

I don't mind flash or things like that. Where the frustration sets in is warping and ofcourse, the ever dreaded air rashes/collapse.

If its fixable by my meagre skills, then its okay, when its too much, then I do feel dissapointed. But, welcome to GK heh. 8)
Old 10-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Virtual Artist

jedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud ofjedilaw has much to be proud of

Quote:

Scott
AW Studios
Thanks for the explanation.

How much more expensive does it get for a kit creator to go with injection molding instead of vac-forming? Is it orders of magnitude?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Griffworks

As I understand the process, yes, it'd be in the tens of thousands of dollars to produce this as an injection molded kit.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:50 PM
I AM YOUR FATHER

vaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant futurevaderman1701 has a brilliant future

Griff is right on. So it would take thousands of models being popped in order to make anything on it.

Scott

Old 10-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Virtual Artist

Quote:
Griff is right on. So it would take thousands of models being popped in order to make anything on it.

Scott
At which point a visit from the IP Fairies would be a helluva lot more likely.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Major Procrastinator

uss_columbia New face in the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedilaw
Not knowing the GK scene very well, may I ask if it is the norm to spend a coupld of hundred dollars on a kit and still have to trim away the excess plastic from the parts? Do GK customers just expect to have to put more manual TLC into a project? Because it seems to me that $200-$300 spent on a mass-produced model would give you a different sort of product (Fine Molds Falcon, say).
GK makers are hand casting or forming these parts, no benefit of steel molds and injection systems. This is not only more costly per unit produced but also makes certain defects more likely such as thin/thick regions with vacform, bubbles with resin, etc. It's generally quite a bit more work to prepare and complete a model from a GK than a commercial kit. But look at the bright sides:
- you get a model kit that wouldn't otherwise be available
- you're in a very limited group of people that has such a model
- it can be more satisfying to build a "hard" model than an easy one
Old 10-17-2007, 08:33 PM
KirkTrekModeler

[quote="uss_columbia"]
Quote:
Not only that, but in many instances your talking about a ship that has been lovingly handcrafted, worked, reworked, sanded, sculpted.... You're talking about craftsmanship....artistic expression.

A handcrafted and sculpted Starship, that's art baby, that's art.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 PM
I AM YOUR FATHER

[quote="KirkTrekModeler"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uss_columbia
Quote:
Not only that, but in many instances your talking about a ship that has been lovingly handcrafted, worked, reworked, sanded, sculpted.... You're talking about craftsmanship....artistic expression.

A handcrafted and sculpted Starship, that's art baby, that's art.
We have definately put a lot of work, sweat, blood, money....love, ..you name it. It has definately helped us (me, Charlie, Rhett, and Joe) challenge our modeling skills. I am very proud of what we have accomplished and can't wait to share it with you all. We are so close. Got to go back to work on the lady. see ya.

Scott
AW Studios

Old 10-17-2007, 09:35 PM
KirkTrekModeler

Yeah, no matter what anyone says.... LOTS of love and hard work went into this.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:50 PM

m5multitronic New face in the crowd

Hey, Joe!

As I've said before in many other places, this looks fantastic!!!

I'm very excited by the possibilities this kit represents, and I'm dying to get a chance to build one.

Keep up the good work!

m5

Cicero