Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 10-29-2007, 09:52 PM

PHArchivist is on a distinguished road
Default Showing off...!

All right you renegade, uncouth band of hooligans -- look who's joined the party! Had to register as a new member just to track some of you down!

Anyway, some of you may remember me from a little ole' forum known simply by its letters, and those that do, may recall I have an affliction for toys -- toy conversions, that is...

So...

For those too flakey to pop over to the other joint and drop a comment, I'll do a little showing off HERE!

For the full story read:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=11203
Old 10-29-2007, 11:44 PM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God

Welcome PH, good to see you here.

This is fantastic work. It looks wonderful.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:57 AM

bar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond repute

Nice work, dude.
Who could have thought that a toy X-wing could look so beautiful!
Bar.
Come gather round people, wherever you roam, and admit that the waters around you have grown, and accept it that soon you'll be drenched to the bone. If your time to you is worth saving, then you better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone, cause the times they are a changin'
e-mail(And msn Messenger): vipermark7@googlemail.com
Old 10-30-2007, 12:59 AM
Banned

REL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati God

This is an outstanding conversion, the paint and finish are perfect. Nice work, and welcome abroad.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:09 AM
Goldmember

R L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati God

HI ROB!!!

Nice Red Five! Good to see ya.

Oh and... be sure to get this thing entered in the contest downstairs.... Right Away!

~ Bob ( The former Hand Solo )
Old 10-30-2007, 03:25 AM

manjp is infamous around these partsmanjp is infamous around these partsmanjp is infamous around these partsmanjp is infamous around these partsmanjp is infamous around these partsmanjp is infamous around these partsmanjp is infamous around these partsmanjp is infamous around these partsmanjp is infamous around these partsmanjp is infamous around these partsmanjp is infamous around these parts

I've been watching the progress on RPF.
Great building and painting!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

HOLY POTATO HEADS!!!!

WOW Rob!!! That turned out FANTASTIC!!!!!!

What a way to enter the board here! Welcome!

I think that deserves a..... DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!! 8) 8) 8)

It's great to have you here my friend!

I can't get over how wonderful that toy conversion came out! You are indeed a great artist of this craft sir!

Welcome aboard!

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 10-30-2007, 11:06 AM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God

I get the feeling you are just TOYING with us PH !

Seriously, very nice work ! I forgot I was looking at a toy until I re-read the post. Outstanding !

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."
Old 10-31-2007, 09:18 AM

Wow! Some great compliments from some great builders! I'm honored, guys!

REL
“This is an outstanding conversion, the paint and finish are perfect. Nice work, and welcome abroad.”

Rich, thanks! Without diminishing anyone elses compliments, yours are held in high regard, as your talent is an inspiration!

OOT
“HI ROB!!!

Nice Red Five! Good to see ya.

Oh and... be sure to get this thing entered in the contest downstairs.... Right Away!”

Bob! Glad to be here! Your input and feedback was a primary motivator for me to join the club! Also, your build-up of Kurt's 5 was both an inspiration and a reference for mine, so thank you, kind sir! My comments to Rich are equally attributable to you.

BTW I'll enter the contest pretty soon...

manjp
“I've been watching the progress on RPF.
Great building and painting!”

Another much-appreciated compliment from an awe-inspiring builder! manjp, I haven't known you until just recently, but your Red 2 is amazing. Red 2 is my favorite X, and hence will be reserved for my ulitimate studio scale build-up.

Kuhn Global
“HOLY POTATO HEADS!!!!

WOW Rob!!! That turned out FANTASTIC!!!!!!

What a way to enter the board here! Welcome!

I think that deserves a..... DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!

It's great to have you here my friend!

I can't get over how wonderful that toy conversion came out! You are indeed a great artist of this craft sir!

Welcome aboard! ”

Kuuuuurrt...! I was hoping big time you'd chime in! Thanks my friend! Gotta admit - I was sort of hoping for that "DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!"! Where's the emoticon for a high five?

mech
“I may have to pick your brain. I have an AA Enterprise that could use a do over.

Did you use any special paints/materials to do this mod? I've read that painting these can be a bear due to the plastics used.
Seeing the way this turned out, has put me back on the idea of redoing my toys.

thanks
j”

mech, the plastic didn't really present any problems and took off-the-shelf primer just fine. I think I was using Rust-O-Leum since I was out of Plasti-kote. Of course, I don't know what type of plastic is used on the AA Enterprise. With the X-Wing toy, most of it was fairly rigid, sandable plastic that plastic slovent cement worked on. But some parts (mostly the parts I replaced) were the rubberized-type plastic so to enhance safetly with the toy. For example the nose cone.

Thanks again to one and all for the compliments and the warm welcome!

--Rob/PH
Old 10-31-2007, 09:41 AM

To sum up this build for those who haven't seen or read the other thread on the RPF (its huge!):

This was mainly accomplished by replacing parts that easily identified it as the well-known toy. Starting from front to back:

--Nose cone: I cast the original in resin (it matches the large-scale Red 3 only, not the 1:24 ILM models) and then remastered it to the correct shape.

--Hull: All screw holes and landing gear holes were filled, and all the toy mechanisms (levers, motors, lights) were removed).

--Canopy: clear plastic was cut out

--Cockpit: Replaced with an Icons cockpit cast

--R2: Replaced with R2 from 1:24 Jedi Starfighter model R2

--R2 strip: Replaced with studio scale cast

--Butt plate: Holes filled and some parts replaced with casts of original parts

--Engine nozzles/turkey feathers: Replaced with casts of Maxi-Brute model rocket nozzles, correct actual heat sinks inserted

--Wing interior surfaces: Sheeted with styrene, panel lines penciled-in

--Cannnons: Original bodies, gaps filled; brass tubing for barrels

--Plus a few other "secret ingredients" (stuff too minor to really bring up)

What I didn't do that I could to further enhance the project

--Create actual panelling for wing interior surfaces so panel lines would be real, versus drawn on*

--Fill all original panel lines and either re-scribe or re-panel fuselage and upper wing surfaces

--Remaster cannon bodies so as to be able to incorporate correct, real heat sinks*

--Light model

--Cut open rear (fixed) portion of canopy*

*Items I will most likely do on my next conversion (Red 1 or Red 3)
Old 10-31-2007, 10:22 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
I forgot I was looking at a toy until I re-read the post. Outstanding !

That's not a toy anymore! Way to go![/quote]
Old 10-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

Definitely a HI-FIVE back at ya my friend!

You well deserve the "DUUUUUUUUDE!" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

This piece is OUTSTNDING creativity indeed! Most excellent Rob!... Most excellent! 8) 8)

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 10-31-2007, 04:34 PM
Griffworks

Awesome work!

You can show off any time you want.

Got more to show us...?