Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 11-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation
Default Re: LastBattlestar's Galactica: 10 years in the making

Well,thanks! I gotta go change my drawers again!

Lookin' fantastic! Makes me wish, once again, that I had both the money, space and patience to build one of these, myself. That, and wasn't so OCD that I'd feel the need to build all of the RTF ships, a Pegasus, an Atlantia, etc....

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 11-21-2013, 03:05 PM

AKULA will become famous soon enoughAKULA will become famous soon enough

Truly stunning.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:59 PM

Demoriel is a glorious beacon of lightDemoriel is a glorious beacon of lightDemoriel is a glorious beacon of lightDemoriel is a glorious beacon of lightDemoriel is a glorious beacon of lightDemoriel is a glorious beacon of lightDemoriel is a glorious beacon of lightDemoriel is a glorious beacon of lightDemoriel is a glorious beacon of lightDemoriel is a glorious beacon of light

Oz, your 2nd to last photo, showing STB bay side/top, shows a small resin piece/part that doesn't look right (not flat enough so stood out as i remember that part...)

It's suppose to be 1/72 Esci T-34/76 part#3 (basically a flatter looking rectangle hatch with some rivets/details on it) Corsini ID #37 on STB bay top. Do you see it?
Old 11-21-2013, 07:15 PM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Thanks Jason, I think I made it up from a found object from memory! There are a lot of substitute parts on this thing, purely for cost reasons. Man, I could make up quite a list of stuff I didn't get from Custom Replicas. What's the status of resin castings from you guys? Not sure what minimum orders you'd take?

Mike
Old 11-22-2013, 11:28 AM

Demoriel is a glorious beacon of lightDemoriel is a glorious beacon of lightDemoriel is a glorious beacon of lightDemoriel is a glorious beacon of lightDemoriel is a glorious beacon of lightDemoriel is a glorious beacon of lightDemoriel is a glorious beacon of lightDemoriel is a glorious beacon of lightDemoriel is a glorious beacon of lightDemoriel is a glorious beacon of light

Send Jim an email OZ, i know he has bucket loads of of loose resin parts. last i spoke to him, he wanted to sell them in bulk basically to clear out some large plastic drawers filled w loose parts. If he goes for it, i'll head over there, and find you that part.

I've been working at a few diff shops here and there, including the old Apogee building (birth place of Galactica)
Old 11-25-2013, 05:01 AM

customreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to behold

Oz,

e-mail me. I'll consider any list of parts you may want. If I have them made up already, I'll give you a sweet price on them.

See our most recent post. No minimums. I just want to try to get rid of loose items.

Thanks,

Jim Key
Old 05-29-2014, 08:54 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Thanks Jim. Still have parts hanging around?

OK guys, update time again. I've torn out all the original styrene inner bay trenches from 1999 and replaced them with aluminium and Plastruct C channel like the outers I refurbished last year. It's all locked in with CA and construction glue, so the bays are really tight now.

I've been wearing grooves in the BG DVD looking for missing parts. The shuttle flying out and overhead pass scenes show how much is missing from the inner bay areas, a lot. I've ID'd a few, but due to the low res image, I've had to guess a few, but there are definitely a lot of empty spaces that clearly had parts on them. For the others, it's the time honoured process of IDing missing parts from the faint shapes left on the paint, eek!

Here is the progress so far:

Just for giggles:

My fave pic:

Mike
Old 05-29-2014, 11:29 AM

chrisisall has a spectacular aura aboutchrisisall has a spectacular aura aboutchrisisall has a spectacular aura aboutchrisisall has a spectacular aura aboutchrisisall has a spectacular aura about

Unbelievable. Wow.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:27 PM
Groovy tunes.

Sci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati God

I love the pic with all the hatches open!
Old 06-15-2014, 05:26 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

Thanks guys. Hey, do you think this thread should be out in the WIP section? A bit quiet in here...

I'm on a roll again with this in the winter weather. Man, I don't think I've been to bed before 2am for the last couple of weeks! There is SO much to detail on this thing that I've been hitting it hard while the motivation is here and keeping it rolling. Enjoying it a lot, too.

After rebuilding all the bay inner trenches, the underside 'coffin' and main body starboard areas were looking very bare. I've been busy poring over the dozens of reference pics and trying to match up all the kit parts from my stash and hundreds of Custom Replicas castings. All that underside styrene plating was 'fun' also...

Mike
Old 08-04-2014, 08:15 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

Hey, it's been a little while since my last update on this never ending build saga. We're having an unusually cold, windy and wet winter, so I've been continuing the annual massive overhaul of the old girl in the evenings.

I've scribed, detailed and chipped the starboard bay front cone at last. Gods, what a detail monster these things are. I also just happened to find the large kit piece which sits BEHIND all the greeblies in the front opening, so out they must come again. Damn, some delicate parts in there...

Also completed all those bloody tiny little styrene chips on the starboard head underside.

Then I decided that all the detailing under each landing bay was looking amateurish and out of position. So I turned this:

....into THIS!

So, after two years, a good mate of mine finally welded up an adaptor which allows the model to sit securely on the floor stand. For the first time in 15 years I've been able to actually step back and look at the model from a distance. Very exciting moment!

I've been wanting to copy the photo of Jim Creveling standing behind his first Galactica replica for over 15 years now.

Getting closer to paint now. But still a lot of internal lighting, second bay interior etc. to go. There is still quite a pile of Custom Replicas detail castings to go on...somewhere?

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg galandmike.jpg (87.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg galcone.jpg (133.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg galfront.jpg (80.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg galfront2.jpg (77.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg galfront3.jpg (85.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg galrearleft.jpg (110.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg galside.jpg (77.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg galside2.jpg (79.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg galstripped.jpg (108.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg galunderbays.jpg (145.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg galchips.jpg (112.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 08-04-2014, 05:32 PM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold

That is just insane Mike!!! I am always envious of guys that can scratch build something like this.
I'd love you to take this to the Melbourne Expo. I can just see their eyes pop out and jaw hit the floor before wondering where the hell they'd display it
Hope you've got a lot of paint in your stockpile
So, is e end near or do you have a long way to go yet?
MH
Old 08-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Glacial Pace Builder

Thanks mate, I appreciate the comments.

There is still quite a lot to do. Primer will be the real test, I'm sure there will be many seams to fill, glue smears to fix and missing parts to add. I'm not patient enough to complete a section100%, so will have to check the reference pics closely to make sure. The lighting and electrical systems are gonna be a whole new challenge when the time comes. I also plan on adding a few non standard extras to that.

It's much closer now, but when it was in the lounge I realised that I much prefer working on it than looking at it. Sort of the whole point of the hobby, eh?

Mike