Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 07-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Not to scale

robn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of All
Default Re: Gene's Viper-in-a-month - NEW Photos on page 14 !!!

Looks like a nice technique for realistic weathering! Thanks for the pics.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:30 AM

ModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant future

It's Zac all over again. Oh, the humanity!

July the 4th be with you. Always.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:56 AM

OTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant futureOTIST has a brilliant future

Burgess Meredith's love child, or should someone be calling Christopher Nolan???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pengy.jpg (37.3 KB, 266 views)
Old 01-20-2011, 10:53 PM

FiveByFive will become famous soon enoughFiveByFive will become famous soon enough

Wow, it's been awhile. But I needed to reread this thread because it's one of the best examples of replicating a filming model. Anyway, did you ever get any pics of the Viper with the rear panel attached? I'm curious about how the engine cans were made for the original master. The original kit part is flat, so it must have been wrapped around a plastruct tube....?

Awesome build and well-deserving of a bump!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:54 AM

Scratchawan Learner is a jewel in the roughScratchawan Learner is a jewel in the roughScratchawan Learner is a jewel in the roughScratchawan Learner is a jewel in the roughScratchawan Learner is a jewel in the roughScratchawan Learner is a jewel in the rough

I can speculate, as to why the weathering wasn't as good, on the studio viper, and also why the detail was so much softer. Apogee knew that the miniature would be shot, using video equipment, as opposed to the panavision camera gear that shot the miniatures for SW. Vid equipment, then as now, has a much lower screen resolution. (discounting HDTV) Apogee knew it could get by with less detail, as it wouldn't be shown on the small screen, in nearly as much detail as SW had been shown in theaters. I'm also wondering just how long Apogee had, to build the viper miniatures. I'm guessing it didn't take them as long as the Galactica... (duh) A lot less pieces to fit, and a lot less lighting, threading of fiber optic, etc. Today, I think a viper would have to be a lot more detailed, and that the panel lines would have to be much cleaner. It would be interesting to see the series shot again...using HDTV video equipment. (using actual models, rather than the re-imagined series technique of CGI) Yeah I know...I'm a traditionalist. VERY nice job on this piece of history... and the repair work on the 'burner can was impeccably done. Once primered, you can't even tell it was ever broken. I can only guess how much this casting cost you, to obtain... it looks HUGE. "Dear Santa....what I want for Christmas is..." I know this build has been a pain in the tail...in more than one way.Thank you for showing us this terrific job. I wish I could be there to check it out in person. (Haven't been out on the west coast in better than ten years...but I'll get there again, someday)
Old 01-21-2011, 04:39 AM

dontexist is just really nicedontexist is just really nicedontexist is just really nicedontexist is just really nicedontexist is just really nicedontexist is just really nicedontexist is just really nice

wow I'm grateful who ever revived this thread man..

I never new it existed, so inspiring, but sad we will never have a function as this in Melbourne Australia.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Not to scale

robn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchawan Learner View Post
...Apogee knew that the miniature would be shot, using video equipment, as opposed to the panavision camera gear that shot the miniatures for SW...Apogee knew it could get by with less detail, as it wouldn't be shown on the small screen, in nearly as much detail as SW had been shown in theaters...
This is partly correct. They simplified detail somewhat, knowing it wouldn't show on TV screens of the time. But all the effects elements were shot on 35mm film, in fact the shots for the pilot were done using the same equipment from Star Wars. Here is the Galactica being filmed by the original Dykstraflex camera.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Correct Rob, even shows as late as ST TNG and DS9 were still shot on film IIRC?

That's a great picture of the Galactica in the studio. I hope to recreate something like that in future with a few mates dressed up in SW T shirts, long hair/beards and bell-bottom jeans. Also lots of beer cans, coffee mugs and ash trays scattered around for the period feel...

MIke
Old 01-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Not to scale

Thanks. That pic was scanned from an issue of Cinemagic, from an article with John Dykstra explaining bluescreen (mainly to discourage backyard super8 filmmakers from thinking they could use it!)

TNG and DS9 were mostly shot on film, but the elements were transferred to video for compositing. TNG was an early adopter to video effects. BSG and Buck were probably the last TV shows to make use of "old school" film opticals.

But they did take the smaller TV screen into account. Compare the Galactica to say a Stardestroyer, you'll notice the greeblies are larger, so they'll show up better on the small screen. Weathering was heavier for the same reason. I saw the BSG pilot when it was released in theaters and it held up pretty well. Except for not being widescreen, it looked like a movie.

It's funny, older shows like BSG and earlier could be put on Bluray and look pretty good. But TNG and later shows can't be, because the video effects were done at the standard TV resolution of the time.