Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 01-29-2014, 10:12 PM

Shaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant future
Default Re: One-Sixth Studio Scale TOS Enterprise

Thanks!

I forgot to point out that the larger tribble is the one I made. I based the pattern on that of a baseball and I printed off several sizes to make a bunch of different tribbles. I'm also going to get several other types of fur to use.

So two questions that have come up a number of times and both are asked quite a bit and both have answers that are related to each other...
  • Are you going to be making parts for other modelers from these masters/molds?
  • Why are certain areas of the parts left rough?
Part of the reason for leaving things rough (or raw) on the ends (specially where pieces come together) is that it gives me some margin for error.

A good example would be the top and bottom of each of the nacelle support pylons for my Phase II Enterprise. Even though I had a good idea how all those parts are to come together, I'm still hand building these parts. If they were machined or 3D printed, then I'd be more sure of how they would all come together, but when doing this by hand I'm not sure how far off the mark I might end up. In the case of the supports, it is better the get the primary hull, dorsal and secondary hull into the position they need to be in, put the nacelles in the positions they need to be in, and then finesse the ends of the supports to get them to connect everything the way I want.

Along similar lines, I don't expect the parts from my molds to fit together nicely. The nacelle halves I made for the Phase II Enterprise model didn't have nice straight edges that fit together for a nice seam. Those were messy and had to be worked to get them to come together, but I got hollow nacelles that didn't weigh much, so it was worth it. Still, it isn't like those are parts I think anyone would be willing to pay money for. They were still missing many elements and would require a lot of work to get them to a nice looking final product... work that I had planned for while I was building the master, so it wasn't something I was surprised to have to deal with.

Even now with my primary hull, I'm working to get the larger surface areas nice, but I'm fully expecting the joining of the top and bottom halves to require some work. Because of that, I'm not adding in any details close to the area where they will join because it would be a wasted effort.

A good example from this weekend's work is the pendent channel on the secondary hull. I spent a lot of time on the secondary hull sharpening up many details, but not around where the channel parts will go. I had to cut out those areas of the original plastic before I knew how the over all secondary hull was going to turn out, and the side channel was off slightly. Once I had an idea of how off, I was able to remove what I needed to and determine what would need to be added in to get everything to align the way I wanted.

Here is the secondary hull after those additional cuts with spacers in where needed...

So yeah, I'm totally use to a messy process where I don't expect anywhere close to ideal fits, but I can't imagine pawning that type of stuff off to others. Even now (with most of the model finished) I wouldn't expect someone else to be able to assemble my Phase II Enterprise because if you just glued everything together the parts wouldn't line up right as they are.

As far as building has been going... not a lot new to report, most of what I've been working on isn't worth taking shots of. But I thought it might be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of my lower primary hull and that of the AMT Cutaway...

Obviously the scale of the two is different, but I think it is also clear why I decided to scratch build this rather than attempt a modification.

The silicon rubber came today and the transparent amber coloring yesterday, so I'll most likely be putting more time into the Phase II Enterprise than this model in the short term. I'm getting pretty close to having the upper and lower primary hulls of this model ready so I might kick them out soon, the nacelle parts will require more effort and might have to wait on the Phase II Enterprise.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:17 AM

Shaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant future

I was playing around with the sensor domes for the primary hull recently. I know I don't need them right away, but I was still trying to mock-up some pieces that would help me establish the size/shape I need. The domes are an issue because the original domes on the 11' model were lost and replaced during the first restoration in 1974. So I'm cross checking against both screenshots and photos of the model during filming to try to nail down how I need them. The lower dome still needs more work.

Anyways, I did a quick series of shots of the parts collected togetherů

Nothing that new, mostly images I can use to cross reference my parts against shots of the original model.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:22 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Excellent!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:14 PM

Thanks!

So progress slowed a bit this week because I was sick. I really thought I'd be further along (and also back working on the Phase II Enterprise), but I did get a few things accomplished... including building the containment box for the silicon rubber around the lower primary hull and started in on some of the main pieces that will make up the front nacelle master.

So yeah, I'm still plugging away at this stuff.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:49 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Fascinating mold----can't wait to see more!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
Old 02-16-2014, 02:19 PM

Thanks!

I've been working on the front nacelle master and started getting some wooden spheres ready to have silicon molds made of them (I want them slightly more than hemispheres because it'll be easier to reduce the final clear acrylic part than to build it back up). Sorry about the blurry shot, I didn't realize it was out of focus until I had already started back to work on the parts, so I couldn't try again right away.

Here are a few more shots of the secondary hull, mainly to double (or triple) check the alignment/placement of things before I move forward. Included are shots of the nacelle end cap masters as I make progress on them.

And some more progress shots of the nacelle end cap masters. The stand-in sphere isn't cut down to size because that part isn't really part of the master (and it takes a long time to cut one of these wood spheres down). The sphere for the rear end caps has been glued into place, but everything else in these shots are just sitting together because I'm still working on sharpening up the parts shape.

Also it was asked what color I plan on using for this model, and actually it'll be the same color I plan to use on the Phase II Enterprise... Tamiya AS-5 Luftwaffe Light Blue.

When I read about Behr UL220-15 Frozen Pond being a good match for the TOS Enterprise, I ran out and grabbed a couple sample sheets. With one in hand I started looking at the Testors and Tamiya paint selections to see if any matched. When I spotted Tamiya AS-5 Luftwaffe Light Blue I bought a can and decided to run a test (both to see how the color worked and if the white grid lines would turn out the way I wanted). Sure enough, the actual paint matched up nicely with the sample, it looked good and the grid lines (and weathering) turned out the way I wanted.

Here is that test on a spare primary hull I have with the Behr UL220-15 Frozen Pond color sample included for reference.

Part of the reason I wanted this color for the Phase II Enterprise is that it's color is based on the 33 inch TOS Enterprise (which was painted with the same paint as the 11 foot TOS Enterprise). Some people thought this looked a lot darker than photos we've seen of the 33 inch model, but the thing is I don't generally use bright lights or flashes to photograph my work, I use low defused light. But I did a test using the flash on my camera and this is how it compared to a photo of the 33 inch TOS Enterprise (under studio lighting with Shatner)...

And I included part of the Behr UL220-15 Frozen Pond color sample in that shot as a reference.

So that is about where I'm at.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:11 PM
My ass is itchy...

Huh......fascinating!

Old 02-17-2014, 12:41 AM

fluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to behold

NICE!
Old 02-27-2014, 02:53 AM

Thanks guys!

Most of what I've done recently hasn't been very visually interesting, but I did do a test of how the rear nacelle parts might look assembled with the nacelle body...

I need to close up the gaps a bit and the nacelle body is a stand in as I won't start those until I have the final front and rear elements. The main thing I'm going for is that the ring needs to be slightly narrower than both the rear end cap and the nacelle body. And at this scale it can be challenging to get that feel from the parts.

I've also been working on reverse engineering the details of the top of the primary hull.

So I originally thought that my tracings of the original decal sheet would be helpful. After all, those decals proved very helpful in my work on the 33 inch TOS Enterprise as the graphics for both models are the same other than scale. I quickly realized that on the 11 foot model the letters for "U.S.S. ENTERPRISE" were not added to the model as a single piece, so the spacing of the letters was different from the actual decal sheet spacing.

Still, it gave me something to start with and I used the size of the decal letters to reverse engineer the grid pattern's concentric circles. That information let me reverse engineer the placement of the lettering and the lighting access ports. And then there is the fact that none of this is on a flat surface and was all hand placed by the artists.

I actually enjoy doing this type of stuff.

This part of my plans still needs some additional work, but I figured I'd share my progress on it.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:39 PM
My ass is itchy...

Excellent. I would have never caught that....

Old 02-28-2014, 05:18 PM

Thanks!

Here is a comparison I did between one of my early nacelle drawings and the test assemblies of my nacelle end masters...

Both the drawing and the masters need work, but I'm getting them closer to what I'm wanting.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:20 AM

Quick update...

A little more work (though not much) on the nacelle end masters. I took some more shots with the cutaway kit versions next to the masters for reference/comparison purposes.

Also I just finished building the containment box for the top primary hull master and applying a second coat of Crystal Clear Krylon to both the top and bottom primary hull masters. Along with the bridge/B/C deck, I think I'm pretty close to ready to start making the silicon rubber molds of these parts.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:03 PM

ModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant futureModelMan has a brilliant future

Old 03-05-2014, 06:31 PM
My ass is itchy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMan View Post
+1

Old 03-06-2014, 06:09 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
When I read about Behr UL220-15 Frozen Pond being a good match for the TOS Enterprise, I ran out and grabbed a couple sample sheets. With one in hand I started looking at the Testors and Tamiya paint selections to see if any matched. When I spotted Tamiya AS-5 Luftwaffe Light Blue I bought a can and decided to run a test (both to see how the color worked and if the white grid lines would turn out the way I wanted). Sure enough, the actual paint matched up nicely with the sample, it looked good and the grid lines (and weathering) turned out the way I wanted.

Now that is an interesting color. Thank you, I need to check it out!