Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 12-27-2010, 11:18 AM

astroboy is a jewel in the roughastroboy is a jewel in the roughastroboy is a jewel in the roughastroboy is a jewel in the roughastroboy is a jewel in the roughastroboy is a jewel in the roughastroboy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Interpretation v accuracy

is there a gallery around for more pics of this???
Old 12-27-2010, 11:30 AM

clactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to behold

Astroboy,
there are a few more pictures down in the finished section,

Clactonite
Old 12-30-2010, 11:17 AM

Scratchawan Learner is a jewel in the roughScratchawan Learner is a jewel in the roughScratchawan Learner is a jewel in the roughScratchawan Learner is a jewel in the roughScratchawan Learner is a jewel in the roughScratchawan Learner is a jewel in the rough

I remember building two of these kits, one, while just a boy, when the first MPC Falcon kits came out. They came with a lighting kit, which worked rather well. I hadn't the courage, nor the knowledge to paint the first one. I built the second, a few years later, when I was about eighteen...and painted that one. I used assorted kit "greeblies" to detail her, but there were no "aftermarket" kits, to detail, or make major changes in the appearance of a Falcon, back then. (this was 1984, you understand) I knew that the kit didn't look quite right, but didn't have enough references to really put my finger on WHY. Today, we have assorted goodies, in the form of aftermarket kits...Blue Moon's is helpful, towards getting the proportions of the kit much closer to the filming miniature.

As for the question, of "Accuracy vs. interpretation"? This is a no brainer, to me. Modeling is supposed to be fun. Why worry over absolute fidelity, to the original? Enjoy your build...and close enough, is good enough. I look at your build photos, especially of the engine's top deck. Nicely done, and detailed well. I think that everyone has differing ideas, of what is, and what isn't "good enough". I believe that your detailing level is a well imagineered interpretation, for your model's size. Detailed, yet not overdone, and yet not over simplified either. MPC's kits, were fairly state of the art, for American companies, and for that (early eighties) time period. Detail was there, but not at a Tamiya, nor Hasegawa level. You are doing a great job, showing what can be done, with MPC's old kit. Considering how reasonable the prices are, for this old kit, on Evilbay... it makes the Blue Moon mod kit seem quite worth the money. Hell, even scratching the sides, is worth the time, when it's all said and done. Don't worry so much about "Canon" detailing. A cool improvisation on the YT-1300 theme, is far more interesting. Over at Starship Modeler's forums, I've seen YT builds, by a guy named "Millenium Falsehood". His YT builds are flat out amazing... and look a lot like what you are accomplishing here. There is so much potential for creativity, and overall FUN, locked into one of these old kits. Thanks for showing us, what can be accomplished, with the judicious application of imagination, and some well spent time.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:29 PM

clactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to behold

Scratchawan,
thanks for the kind words and I have to say "Amen" to all you are saying about keeping the process of building a pleasurable one. I remember building the kit up as a kid and hoped to do it a bit more justice this time round. The Blue Moon parts are a great start but what I think will out of this world will be Talon's upgrades. With these the old MPC kit may enjoy a bit of a renaissance!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:19 AM

astroboy is a jewel in the roughastroboy is a jewel in the roughastroboy is a jewel in the roughastroboy is a jewel in the roughastroboy is a jewel in the roughastroboy is a jewel in the roughastroboy is a jewel in the rough

I was just going over this thread again.

I have to say that I almost regret getting the fine molds. The time spent with greeblies really hasn't been that fun for me whereas battle damage and painting is really what I want to be doing. Perhaps this is the route I should have gone.....

I guess my next kit will be a ANH falcon!!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Goldmember

R L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati God

I've got a couple of the old MPC kits. My plan is to use one to build up another YT-1300, something other than the Falcon. No problems with accuracy there! It'd all be interpretation and fun. The second one... not sure. Might build as the Falcon or might harvest donor parts like organs for something else entirely.