Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 02-12-2011, 11:49 AM

masterjedi322 New face in the crowd
Default Boba Fett's Slave I Build (by Fine Molds)

Hi, all! Some of you may recognize me from the RPF, TrekPropZone, or Propfix. I found my way over here to this great forum, and I thought I'd open with my current build.

The goal of this project is to construct a 1/72 scale model of Boba Fettís ship, Slave I, as seen in The Empire Strikes Back. This particular model is made by a company called Fine Molds. Over the last few years, theyíve made a great line of Star Wars models. I picked up mine from a great site, Hobby Link Japan.

This is the first time in probably fifteen years that Iíve built an actual model (i.e. not a prop kit) so Iín sure Iíve got a lot to learn when it comes to construction, but mostly painting and weathering.

So stay tuned. This promises to get interesting.

I will also be documenting this build on my website at seanpallas.com!

While things have been pretty busy, I managed to steal a few minutes at my workbench today. I didnít get a whole lot accomplished, but I did manage to unpack the model and take a quick inventory.

Overall, the model looks great. All the pieces are very crisp and finely detailed. The instructions, while written in Japanese, have excellent exploded drawings, clearly illustrating the modelís assembly. Also included is a large color print, which details the painting scheme and provides a comprehensive list of the various colors needed. ĎLooks like Iím going to need to pick up some supplies!

I later paid a visit to my local hobby shop, Z&Z Hobbies, to pick up some supplies for the build. First and foremost, I needed paint! For the majority of props Iíve built, I tend to stick with automotive or household paints, but this model is going to require something better fit for small scale. Luckily, the incredibly detailed painting guide that comes with the model includes a comprehensive list of all the colors needed, along with equivalents of Gunze-Sangyo, Humbrol, and Tamiya paint codes. As Iíve worked with Tamiya in the past, I decided to go that route. All in all, I picked up about twenty bottles of acrylic paint, plus some clear coats and thinner.

I also scored a new sprue cutter, a bottle of Tamiya adhesive, and some Maskol masking fluid, which I figure Iíll need to achieve the complex paint patterns.

Next up, I hope to be doing some building!

Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20110129-023402.jpg (106.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by masterjedi322; 02-12-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Boba Fett's Slave I Build (by Fine Molds)

Today I finally put some stuff together! Following the instructions, the first assembly to put together is the cockpit. The assembly is composed of three subassemblies: the pilot’s console, the passenger seats below, and the surrounding bulkheads. The entire thing went together very quickly and easily. ‘Just snapped the parts off the sprue using my sprue cutters, filed down the excess material, and glued everything together using Tamiya thin cement, which worked really well.

I’ve decided to tackle all the assembling before I dive into painting. Next up are the wings!

Sean
Old 02-13-2011, 02:36 PM

Next up are the wings. Each wing is comprised of three subassemblies: what I’ll call the outer wing, the strut, and the inner wing. There are a handful of parts for each subassembly, so progress was a little slower today, but I managed to get one wing assembled. Following the advice of this article at Starship Modeler, I decided to keep the three parts separated until after painting.

Sean
Old 02-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Feel the wrath of Boron!!

Lord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant future

I just finished off the their Y-wing kit, and I have to say I love how easily the Fine Molds stuff goes together. Looking forward to seeing more.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:54 AM

Hackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the RIīs! Looks like a good start.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:12 AM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Very nice. Sometimes I find myself marvelling at the crispness of these finemolds models....
Old 02-16-2011, 10:17 AM

Thanks, guys!

So far, I've been very impressed with the detailing of the parts. The kit is going together very quickly and easily!

Sean
Old 02-19-2011, 02:08 PM

Today, I finished up the right wing subassemblies, which are basically a mirror image of the left side I completed earlier. Each wing has a rod that is to slide through the support strut into the third piece, which I’ll refer to as the wing mount. The wing is supposed to rotate freely through the support strut so that the wings can be displayed in either the horizontal or vertical positions. A quick test-fit showed the fit through the strut was a little tight, so I had to file down the rod and the inner diameter of the strut section to get a good fit.

After the wings were finished, I moved onto the fuselage. I separated the two halves from the sprue, and filed down the minor flash that was left over. Overall, the two pieces look pretty good, although the right half does have some rough spots around the upper canopy area that I’ll mostly likely need to putty over. This isn’t a huge deal as I plan on puttying over the seam that will run down the length of the fuselage once the two halves have been put together. I’ll leave that for next time though.

It looks I'm also going to need a panel-line scribing tool to restore any lines that may get puttied over when I join the two halves together. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Sean
Old 03-19-2011, 08:33 PM

After a small hiatus, I’m back to Slave I. Today, I decide to join the two halves of the fuselage together. I first attempted to do so using the Tamiya Thin Cement, which I’ve been using throughout the build. However, the cement didn’t quite have the hold I needed it to. Nor did it provide me with enough time to get the two halves aligned and joined. Instead, I used some of my old, trusty, Testor’s modeling cement. This stuff is a bit thicker and slower-setting, but it worked perfectly for my application. After the cement had a chance to cure, I went down the seam with some automotive spot putty, being careful to minimize any excess. After that has sufficiently dried, I’ll need to sand down the seam and restore some of the panel lines and detailing that was covered by the putty, but I’ll have to save that for next time.

While I was waiting for the fuselage halves to set, I decided to assemble the two lower laser cannons. These went together relatively quickly, as they’re composed of just three, small pieces. They’ll mount to the two hemispheres you see at the bottom of the main fuselage.

Sean
Old 03-20-2011, 11:38 AM

darthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the rough

When I put the two halves together I set them in the bottom part since it made them align and stay together.

Also a tip for painting--I tried the masking fluid technique on mine, but the brand I got did not work well at all, in small amounts it was very difficult to get off and so it wasn't able to give the nice chipping effect. I ended up doing it by hand but other people have had success using Winsor and Newton Watercolor masking fluid
Old 03-20-2011, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the great tip on assembling the fuselage...wish I had thought of that. If you don't mind, I'd like to add it to the write-up on my website.

And thanks for the tip on masking. I have a bottle of Microsol mask I'm going to try. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Sean
Old 03-27-2011, 10:14 AM

Today I started sanding the seam of the fuselage. I started with some 215 grit paper and moved onto 400 before finishing up with some 600. I used the wet-sanding method to help prevent any additional scratches, and it seemed to work well. I wonít know for sure until I prime.

Next, Iíll need to restore some of the panel lines that were puttied over.

Can anyone recommend some good tools & techniques for doing panel lines?

Sean
Old 03-27-2011, 12:06 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God

Welcome to RI Sean!

Scribing is a highly subjective choice based on what feels right to each person. I've bought every scribing tool I've ever I've ever stumbled across and most of them get occasional use. Yet the "tool" I keep coming back to is a modeler's razor saw. I angle the front tooth of the saw to follow, or start a line, and then work it back and forth for depth. Then a pass or two in each direction to clean it up. It's the sharp front tooth of the saw that moves plastic easily. I have many saws and choose my weapon based upon the thickness of line I need.

One more method you could look into for painting is the "salt" method. It's harder to control placement but still effective.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:27 PM

darthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the rough

On mine I did some scribing with the edge of some sharp scissors, just when you do it, don't press too hard and take your time, it'll take a while to do so don't rush yourself or you'll make stray marks and those are hard to get rid of.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:35 PM

JohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant future

So Far, it's looking like a good start