Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 06-22-2011, 11:21 PM

darthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Venator Class Star Destroyer

Yeah, it's this one:
http://gillesv27.blogspot.com/search...ar%20Destroyer

I like the paint on there with the red stripes (although it's missing the fleet logo) and I like the engine design better.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Ne Jabba no Barter

JediPuju will become famous soon enoughJediPuju will become famous soon enoughJediPuju will become famous soon enough

like the late randy savage would say "ooooh yeeeaaaah - dig it!!"

Thanks for that - the hangar lighting on that one is awesome!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:50 AM

darthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the roughdarthviper107 is a jewel in the rough

Quick update, I've printed some new engine parts, these are much thinner. I've got some for the small engines as well.

These are available for anyone that wants to get them. Here's the link, it's from Shapeways. Make sure it's on the Frosted Ultra Detail material, nothing else is thin enough. THere's also a minimum order of $25 there, but it's still cheaper than any other place I've found for parts this small.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/30588...ts.html?gid=ug
Old 08-03-2011, 01:31 AM

Scratchy is a jewel in the roughScratchy is a jewel in the roughScratchy is a jewel in the roughScratchy is a jewel in the roughScratchy is a jewel in the roughScratchy is a jewel in the rough

Nice detailing work!
Old 08-03-2011, 02:14 AM

Rondie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthviper107
Just ordered some. I'm curious how fast they are and what the quality is.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:35 AM

Hackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond repute

Very cool! Ordered some too. Thanks for the link Darthviper.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondie View Post
Just ordered some. I'm curious how fast they are and what the quality is.

They're supposed to deliver within 10 working days. But the Frosted Ultra Detail was a new material for them and they were recently behind. Like when I made my order on June 21st it didn't get here until this monday, like a month and a half later due to how backed up they were. I'm not sure if they're back to the 10 day thing.

The smoothness is pretty good on these, since it's all vertical shapes, I don't think it uses any support material and so there's no lines that I can tell. And it's at least as strong as it would be if you made it out of styrene.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:51 AM

Rondie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They're supposed to deliver within 10 working days. But the Frosted Ultra Detail was a new material for them and they were recently behind. Like when I made my order on June 21st it didn't get here until this monday, like a month and a half later due to how backed up they were. I'm not sure if they're back to the 10 day thing.
The site told me 14 days, but that's probably because I'm in europe. I don't readily believe anything internet tells me, and that's probably for the best seeing your story about their backlog.

Quote:
The smoothness is pretty good on these, since it's all vertical shapes, I don't think it uses any support material and so there's no lines that I can tell. And it's at least as strong as it would be if you made it out of styrene.
Nice, I'm really interested in this, this could turn out to be a new form of GK outlet. You don't put a star wars item in there, but only the loose parts which make up the kit. No casting, no molds that have to be replaced. I'm just wondering if this will go down much pricewise as time goes by.

Oh, and to try to stay on topic a bit... Nice venator! I'll have to get back to finishing my own soon, yours looks great!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:47 AM

Prices end up getting pretty extreme once things get bigger. It's much much cheaper to cast things, Like say if you had this Venator as a 3D model, it'd be probably $800 to print, while the molded kit is like $30

Works pretty well for the small parts though. I'm hoping to do replacements for the turbolasers on the top and in the trenches as well. Don't know when I'd get that out though, have some other stuff to finish first.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:09 PM

Hackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond repute

Darthviper you asked a while ago for pics of the old boxart so here are some for ya.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:06 PM

Wow, awesome. Thanks. When I got the kit I didn't know they had changed the box art so I had been a bit disappointed that they didn't have the CG render on the front. That will help a lot
Old 08-04-2011, 08:40 AM

Just a reminder everyone--it must be printed in the Frosted Ultra Detail material, no other material options are thin enough. I got an email someone's order got rejected because they tried to get it printed in Black Detail. Parts of the model are 0.4mm thick, and only Frosted Ultra Detail can go down that far.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthviper107 View Post
Just a reminder everyone--it must be printed in the Frosted Ultra Detail material, no other material options are thin enough. I got an email someone's order got rejected because they tried to get it printed in Black Detail. Parts of the model are 0.4mm thick, and only Frosted Ultra Detail can go down that far.

Yeah that was mine order! Sorry!

Last edited by Hackcore; 08-04-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 AM

Hah, yeah. It'd be nice to print in something not frosted and maybe a bit stronger, but the FUD is the only option at that detail