Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 10-27-2007, 09:49 AM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God
Default Daedalus CGI wip

Hereís some Daedalus work.

Ofcourse, its blatantly just a little gag for fun, pretending I have a shop, bluescreen stage and model. :P

So anyway, Iím trying to make a classic one based on the Greg Jein pic in ĖArt of Star Trek-. To be honest its my first attempt at trying to realize a strict/established model.

I am pretty new to this aspect and Iím not ashamed to say I donít know what the hell Iím doing. Iím especially useless at texture maps and figuring out how on earth to line up markings, so thereís plenty anomalies to see, and compared to the work of you guys, I know my work looks too cartoony and not up to scratch. So advice, observations, suggestions are most welcome.

Next, the one shown in my previous post was basically a free style mess about. I consider it a sort of refit version. But itís not finished. I just wanted a few shots of it for a sequential I was messing about with. Hereís some poor little bits and pieces for views.

Thatís all for now, and thank you for looking.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:21 AM

RonH is a glorious beacon of lightRonH is a glorious beacon of lightRonH is a glorious beacon of lightRonH is a glorious beacon of lightRonH is a glorious beacon of lightRonH is a glorious beacon of lightRonH is a glorious beacon of lightRonH is a glorious beacon of lightRonH is a glorious beacon of lightRonH is a glorious beacon of lightRonH is a glorious beacon of light

Well for somebody who sez he doesn't know what he's doing, the pix look pretty nice ! 8) Really like the last two.

I don't do textures either; tho I've been told I need to learn. I prefer cutting details into models. Can make for some long render times, but it looks more realistic and I'm not making movies so it's not a concern.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Banned

REL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati God

Even though I think the Daedalus looks like a thermos...in...spaaaaaaaace! Those are really nice renders of it.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:13 PM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God

Got Thermos! :P

Thank you very much for the encouragement. It is so appreciated from this side of the galaxy and/or gutter.

This cutting thing. I've seen it done on some sites, but I have no idea how they're doing it
Where they make a shape and punch it into the surface and cut it out... Any particular name or tool I should be looking for?

Thank you
Old 10-27-2007, 08:31 PM

Phew!!! I just done two quick comp tests so I can have a look at it, thought Iíd share.
Itís starting to seem a bit more promising. But those rings on the nacelles have got to go, they look pretty awful like that. The deflector bands need more work and I can spot a major flaw in the texture just behind it.

Iím thinking, if I can work out the flaws, of trying to make a sequential based on the Horizons back story in ĖA Piece of the Action- and do a crash scene.
But that wonít be for a while now as other things are afoot and this is probably my last bit of modeling for a whileÖ

Thanks so much for your input on this. I really appreciate it.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:39 AM

Old 11-02-2007, 04:51 AM

RKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond repute

Something to consider when lighting a model of a ship that is supposed to be in space is what is generating the light that's illuminating the ship.
In reality unless the ship is nearby a planet/sun all you would see is the light being emitted from the ships windows and engines etc.
This could make for uninteresting viewing so a balance has to be struck as to how much of the ship you will see.
However when using dramatic lighting an effort needs to be made to explain the source of that lighting to keep it in some kind of reality.

My advice for a static image would be to remove or at least tone down the intensity of those light spots
unless your intent is to show that something artificial is directing a very narrow beam of light towards the ship.

Looks like you're having fun so keep it up.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:54 AM

Thank you so much for looking and taking the time to comment RKW, and you are absolutely correct with all you say.
I will very much like to work at improving all aspects of my modeling both physical and digital and input like this is most welcome.

As you say, just why are there two floods of light reflecting on the dome for example, aswell as the overall brightness of the rest of the ship. So you are totally right , and I do hope to get better at my renders for sure.

Thank you
Old 11-03-2007, 05:40 AM
Anorak in disguise

Blitzspear is a jewel in the roughBlitzspear is a jewel in the roughBlitzspear is a jewel in the roughBlitzspear is a jewel in the roughBlitzspear is a jewel in the roughBlitzspear is a jewel in the roughBlitzspear is a jewel in the rough

Very nice work rider. Can i ask what softwhere you have used on this and what would be a good starting off program for doing this sort of thing.
You have inspired me to have a go at this again mate. But the softwhere i've got is well out of date by now.

Blitz
Old 11-03-2007, 08:06 AM

Well, as the saying goes, beggers can't be choosers, so I have no idea what to recommend.

As for myself, I am using an old release of Cinema4D.

New software comes out all the time in various standards of qauality and needs. Sadly, you can't just go into a store and have a browse and ask questions.

What I would recommend is buying a couple of Digital Art magazines and/or going on their websites and checking out releases and reviews.
You will find various applications coming in from around $60 all the way to the top line.

If you just want to model, perhaps an architectural/car design package would be a good direction to go in, as it will be set up for the that type of modeling. Just as if you want to make characters, its best to go for a figure programe and so on.

My tip, think about what you will need, and begin your search that way.

A lot of magazines kindly come with demos and/or free samples of a lot of these things, but usually the save function will be disabled and it will carry many limitations ofcourse, but its a great starting point, and you will be privvy to the files and tutolage of some great artists.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Anorak in disguise

Blitzspear is a jewel in the roughBlitzspear is a jewel in the roughBlitzspear is a jewel in the roughBlitzspear is a jewel in the roughBlitzspear is a jewel in the roughBlitzspear is a jewel in the roughBlitzspear is a jewel in the rough

Cheers buddy very helpful.