View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 08:37 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future
Default Re: 1/48 Seafire FR47

Update here! Got more work done on 178. Like 180 the interior is all PE, from IP to side walls to seat. Though the wall extensions going down is styrene.

A little turn back to 180 shows the slight extensions needed to close the gap on the underside of the wing. Again, this is using the Fr47 upper panels with the Fr46 lower wing section in the kit, so some miss-match is not a surprise.

Upper panels going on 180 with some tabs for more gluing surfaces.

Back to 178 again, and the wings are going a little differently. The upper panels are being glued before being offered to the lower wing. This made it easier to have a good solid bond between the parts and to avoid a slight step evident on 180.

Like on 180 there is a slight gap at the end of the wing, but a little shim closes that up.

180s wings joined together.

The closed gap at the wing tip.

Onto the flaps and again both have to be done differently. I'm glad I started 178 before 180 was done as the latter is showing how to make it with the least fuss. Because 178s wings are not on yet the flaps are easier to put on, starting with the inner flaps. With the wing apart I can put as much glue as I want on the inside to secure them without worrying about having to clean it up again.

The larger flaps went next, with plastic underneath to strengthen the join. If it's not obvious they will be in the closed positions as most pics show the flaps stowed when not under power.

And since the flaps on the 47 are larger than the 46, they have to be resized. It's easier since they will be up, as all I have to do is delete the original hinge seam and just extend the parallel line above it as the new hinge line.

The under wing radiators will also have to be sightly angled on the outboard side to clear the new flaps when deployed.

In the process of test fitting, another pair of gaps were found on both wing sets, between the flaps and the ailerons. More plastic was added to close them up, lengthening the ailerons to meet the flaps and keep the separation line between them.

For the flaps on 180, I had to add some shims inside to keep them from falling inward. The flaps were glued together first, keeping a slight kink as they are not flat across the width of the wing.

All glued in place and they look as bad as a good sin, mostly because of the glue that had to be put on the outside - and that needs to be cleaned up now. But in truth, it was all going to be sanded anyway to enlarge them. They'll require a little more scribing but it'll look good in the end.

That's it for now. Next update coming with sand sand sand and 178s fuselage going together.

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/