View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Pissin 'em off since :1999

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: MOEBIUS 1/32 TOS Colonial Viper.

That's about it for the "What's in the kit box" part of this review. The model looks well made with plenty parts, the instructions appear straight forward, the molding looks nice and it will build into a model that will be recognized (by us) as being a Colonial Viper from the original series "Battlestar Galactica".

Let's take this review into more of something that I think everyone really would like to know. There has already been a couple of reviews of this kit compared to the Monogram/Revell versions, so let's deviate a little.

Since we as science fiction modelers are always looking for models that match what we saw in the actual shows (or maybe I speak for myself, but I certainly want that), let's do some comparisons to the actual filming miniature used in the series and see just how close this kit will please us in that regard.

This will not be comprehensive because I don't know quite what to do to display what I would like to, but I did make some crude comparisons in MSPaint. The top picture in this collage is of a studio shot of the filming miniature that originated at the studio. The second picture is from a screen grab from one of the episodes which matches the studio shot exactly in proportions, as it should. The third is a simple drawing I made in MSPaint by tracing over that studio shot years ago. The fourth picture in the attachment is the Moebius model itself, taped together tightly so that I could get a descent rear profile for these comparisons. All along the right of the picture I have sliced the picture of the taped together Moebius model against those shots of the originals.

If any of that makes sense, you should be able to see some slight differences in the Moebius model and the filming models?

I hope you can see what I'm showing here. There are discrepancies, most notably the angle of the wings. I'll be adjusting those on mine. There are also differences in the rear panel details. I will also try to correct some of that on my build, but that may be a complete scratchbuild.

Anyway, if there are any more things to note, I'll get into those when I build this kit. I've asked y'all to read enough already.

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vipcomprear.JPG (105.6 KB, 68 views)