Thread: The Joker
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Den Mother

Mark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Joker

So the last step with the vest is to help the decals blend into the colors showing through the clear film. I learned this technique many years ago when I applied it to a model after hand coloring some black and white photographs. A company called Marshall sells Photo Oils which are intended to color photographs. They are true linseed based oil colors with one VERY big difference. All of the colors are transparent! They are not by any means cheap, the Introductory set is 5 colors and around $30.00 and individual tubes are $10.95 per 2”x1/2” tubes. But a little goes a very long way and my set is 15 years old. The results are just SO worth the expense.

So the first step was to put out the colors I planned to use on a piece of card stock. This soaks up any excess linseed oil and makes the paint MUCH easier to use. BTW the reason there was so much yellow on the palette is that the tube gave away (15 year old lead foil will do that) spilled an excess of the paint.

The technique involves applying a little of the paint to an area and then taking a flat dry brush to stipple the color over the area. You will see it lighten or darken, depending on the color, while still allowing the base texture to show through.

Here I applied thin lines of the highlight yellow to the highest point of raised areas.

And here…

As I add more to highlight areas you can see how the areas I already applied color to have lightened and you can still see the decal pattern through the color.

All of the yellow has been applied with some orange as well. I have then gone at it with a deep red in the shadow areas.

Finally here is a split view showing before and after the photo oils are applied. Once the oils have set and I apply another layer of Dullcote I’ll go back and add spot oil washes of Alizarin Crimson to set off certain details like the buttons.