Thread: The Joker
View Single Post
  #7  
Old 07-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Mark Yungblut Mark Yungblut is offline
Den Mother
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,478
Mark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Joker

So as I stated before I decided to take a brief break from painting the head and decided to work on the torso. One of the features of this piece is the garish colors that the joker wears. For the trademark purple suit and orange vest, I wanted very intense colors. I chose to use Games Workshop’s Citadel colors as they tend to be extremely intense particularly in the primary and secondary color ranges. So it will be Xereus Purple and Troll Slayer Orange as the base colors for the torso.

I painted the initial layer on the orange vest I realize that even with proper shading and highlighting it would be rather boring. So I toyed with the idea of a texture or pattern to paint on the vest like brocade or paisley when I struck on an idea. A plaque was included with the bust that has an outline of a jester engraved within it surface. So I filled that engraving with black ink and scanned the image.




I imported that image into an app called Freehand which I used back in my graphic design days. I resized the image to be about 3mm tall and then duplicated it and flipped one of the heads upside down. I then colored the lines a nice dark red and created a pattern. This was printed on clear decal film and sealed.



So before painting the vest I took my contour gauge and used it to get the shape of the depression where the vest meets the jacket. For those that are not familiar with a contour gauge, it is a tool with a series of metal bars that can slide. These bars are set abutting each other and you push that up against the shape you want to mimic.



This will give you a fairly close approximation of the shape. I did this on both sides and transferred that to cardstock to make a left and right pattern using the overlap of the front of the vest as the divining line.



Once the patterns were done I airbrushed the dark and light parts of the vest. I also used some brush washes of dark red to add a harsher shading effect. This will look normal after the pattern is applied.



Once that had time to set I gave the entire area a good coat of Future Floor Wax. This was done both to seal it and to add a glossy base for applying decals. In this shot you get a good idea of the intensity of the colors and the harshness with which I painted them.



After transferring the pattern to the decal sheet I cut it to shape. I then further cut up the decals so that I could apply them in sections and make sure they each laid flat in the end. I cut along line in between the jester heads.



I used Microset and Microsol to set and soften the decal film to get it to lay down over the wrinkles in the vest.





I continued to add sections until the entire vest area was covered.



Once the decals dried for 24hours, I gave them a good coat of Testor’s Dullcote. That will be given 12 or so hours to cure before I go back in tonight and add some Marshall’s Photo oils to enhance the shading. Note that I also decided to go with a black shirt instead of a dark green one.



__________________
Reply With Quote