View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 02:20 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: 1/350 USS North Carolina - a happy mistake

I have to agree totally... in fact, a colleague here on RI (Hint! Hint!) just ordered a Lion Roar set for his. It's pretty much a one-stop shop!

Problem is, my Showboat's waterline. If I got that set with those pretty brass screws, I wouldn't have the heart to let them go to waste... and I'd have to do another NC build and..... you get the picture Also, they don't include the screen that goes over the hawsepipe.*

Other options were:

Gold Medal Models. I ruled them out because no floater net baskets** and no 'NORTH CAROLINA' for the stern.

White Ensign - They're out because you have to buy a set of 40mm and 20mm PE to go with it. ***

Tom's Modelworks - I like Tom's stuff okay except he's not big on relief etching. I do like his floater net baskets better than anyone else's.**

So, that left Eduard. No metal barrels, BUT they give you a bunch of stuff you don't get in other sets. Also, I know from their Zero sets that they're not 'fiddly'.

I'm thinking that I'll use Yankee Modelworks replacement turrets.

1. They come with metal barrels
2. They have blast bags
3. They have detail on the base of the turrets that's missing here:

Pacific Front sells the LionRoar 5" barrels seperately, so I'll end up with those too. As a matter of fact, there a lot of other odds and ends there I might end up getting....... it's time to start raising funds! (My wife has unilaterally passed a law banning deficit spending.....)

I can't help m'self... she's going to be painted in the same camo that the real Showboat's wearing right now. Not only is it my favorite scheme, but my wife loves it. Spousal support is verrry important when it comes to fleet expenditures.

But one of the first things I'm gonna have to do is work on the ugly-assed kit bow... She needs the bull-nose rings, and those awful hawse holes have GOT to go..... Compare the pic of the real girl above with the kit below:

(These are pics of the stock kit with LionRoar additives)

* I have some sort of anchor fetish. The ones on the Buchanan are too small... the ones here are the right size but the holes are....off. Drives me batty.
** Why are all the baskets EMPTY??? Does NOBODY make the nets to go in the things???????
*** I absolutely hate it when companies do this....they either assume that you just happen to have spares, or worse, they do this intentionally so you'd have to buy another of their products?? That's why I'm definitely NOT going to buy Dragon's PE upgrade!