View Single Post
  #4  
Old 07-30-2019, 10:55 AM
Trekriffic's Avatar
Trekriffic Trekriffic is offline
One-trek Mind
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,557
Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Batmobile 1966 - Deluxe Edition

With all the glue I had to use to join the chassis to the body I didn't want to risk any getting on my nice satin Krylon finish. I also needed to do a lot of clamping and didn't want the clamps scratching the paint. So I ended up masking most of the body:


Batmobile 1966 WIP - Masked Crusader by trekriffic, on Flickr

Have I said how confoundingly ill fitting this kit is? Prime example... the passenger compartment dashboard fits fine with very small gaps between it and the front canopy frame; conversely, in the engine compartment, there is this 1/8" gap at the top of the firewall. Will have to fill it in somehow:


Batmobile 1966 WIP - Major Gappage by trekriffic, on Flickr

Hard to see in this image but there is a slight gap about 1/64” wide around the front edge of the dashboard after assembly. This was easily filled in with AVES putty before painting with semi-gloss black:


Batmobile 1966 WIP - Dashboard Gaps by trekriffic, on Flickr

Shaving Batman's ass... I think I may be the first modeler to ever say that...

The kit makers didn't account for the amount Batman sinks into his seat when driving. So he sat too high in the seat for my taste. To reduce the height I used an xacto chisel blade and knife to carve away at Batman's ass and hamstrings. The final result is much better as you will see:


Batmobile 1966 WIP - Shaving Batman's Butt by trekriffic, on Flickr

To cover the console and firewall gaps I used this sheet of thin black styrene. It ended up being perfect for this use:


Thin Black Styrene Sheet by trekriffic, on Flickr

After gluing the black styrene in place I filled any remaining gaps with white Perfect Plastic Putty:


Batmobile 1966 WIP - Firewall Gap Covered and Puttied by trekriffic, on Flickr

AVES worked well for filling this gap where the dash met the arch in the body:


Batmobile 1966 WIP - Gap Filled with AVES by trekriffic, on Flickr

After separation of the rear wall and deck from the side door panels a slot remained which I covered with a piece of styrene sheet before painting it black:


Batmobile 1966 WIP - Rear Wall Slot Covered by trekriffic, on Flickr

Batman test fit after assembling the chassis to the body:


Batmobile 1966 WIP - Batman Seated by trekriffic, on Flickr

After covering and filling the gaps along the rear and side walls in the engine compartment the walls got a coat of semi-gloss black. Later I brushed them with Liquitex Matte Varnish:


Batmobile 1966 WIP - After Touching Up by trekriffic, on Flickr
__________________

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."
Reply With Quote