Thread: How Far Enough?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 09:35 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: How Far Enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-1 View Post
Wait a minute now.....

Y'all are totally missing the paint chip thing when it comes to spacecraft, especially something like a Viper. Most of those real things would be painted with 100 mile an hour paint.

A Viper is doing more than that at launch.

That 100 mile an hour paint's gonna chip. It's lucky we get to see paint on these things at all.

See, they don't think about this kinda stuff when they paint spaceships. If they did, they would AT LEAST use the same kinda paint like on a Top Fuel Dragster. It would hold on till three times that 100 mile an hour crap.

Rob.
I've been out of the trade and don't have a clue what they currently use, but, back in the eighties the predominance of teams seemed to be going with Dupont Imron. A two part enamel commonly then referred to as an "Epoxy Paint". It WAS tough. Well, it was also used on commercial aircraft back then and fire trucks and the sort. It was the toughest shit you could get for a good decade or more.

Now I don't have a clue what today's military uses? BUT, in times of war from what I have read it was not the "cutting edge" paints that the government paid for. Hell, our warships in WWII were sent out with good supplies of not only "standard colors" but also basic hues and tints to mix up a batch while on tour and tours weren't expected to even last a year yet those ships needed constant touch-ups and repaints. Some of the greys/blues used were notorious for fading into an unrecognizable shade within a month of service?

So I have no clue what the future would really be like but as a former auto painter with a general interest in all things paint- I think shit's gonna get fucked up!