Thread: How Far Enough?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 08:40 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: How Far Enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana2001 View Post
and if you don't know how to fix the probs,why point them out?

I've debated this particular question in my mind over and over ever since this section was created, and it hit me last week: I don't have to be a professional chef to know when my food order is bad.

Applying that logic to modeling: let's say that someone has never even opened a model box before, let alone built, painted, or weathered it.
Maybe he's looking at an airplane somebody built. It's a beautifully-done model. No seams, paintwork is immacculate, decals applied flawlessly, and the weathering is gorgeous.

However - our guy notices that the landing gear doors are reversed. Or maybe the camo pattern is wrong for that particular plane. Or maybe the national insignias aren't in the proper places. Or maybe the builder did the paint-chip effect on an area that was fabric-covered on the real plane.

Should the guy hold back just because he's never built a model before?

Hell no!

Say what you know.

With that in mind, let's look at your sentence again in a different light:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana2001 View Post
and if you don't know how to fix the probs,why point them out?
Our guy has no place trying to tell people *how* to do something, if he's never done it himself.

All too often you'll see people trying to be helpful by passing on tips and tricks they've only heard about or read on a forum somewhere, but have never tried themselves. (You'll see such 'experten' in any hobby you can imagine.) Face it: if a person's builds have never gotten past the primer stage, then their input on how to decal or weather is best politely ignored*.

It's my opinion though that this sort of discourse ought to take place in every build thread, and not just in one section.

*There's a guy like this that frequents my LHS. He spray-bombs all the parts before he builds the model, there are always glue prints on the clear parts, and his decals are always in the wrong places and/or are falling off because he sticks them on over flat paint. However, he is FULL of helpful hints when it comes to painting and weathering.....it's all I can do to keep from bitch-slapping him.
There's another guy whose modeling is on a par with REL or NEB or Raytheon. When HE gives me advice, I sit down, STFU, and take notes.