View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Studio Scale Pack Rat

Richard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlestar1563 View Post
But, now my thoughts go to the structure its self. And have read many great ideas So far on this and hope to hear more. Maybe, Richard_2001 can add some info about different woods since he is a cabinet maker. I was wondering about the alderwood. Is this simular to the alder used in many solid bodied guitars? I understand that basswood is a light wood. And know for a fact that its used in guitar bodys(yes I'm into guitars and have built several of them) lol.
What about kiln dried poplar?
Alder has a similar density, grain and is a bit tougher than basswood and is more readily available

Poplar is also similar in density and has similar grain but is a tad tougher than Alder

all 3 wood are about 25-30 pounds per cubic foot the only real variance is in the hardness of the wood with Bass being the softest Alder in the middle and Poplar being the hardest. All have fairly fine grain and good split resistance

I have no experience with Gatorboard the only sample I have I got through Charles and it was not big enough to try anything with and already glued to plex

Charles you are most welcome for the testimonial it was well deserved

Richard