Resin Illuminati

Resin Illuminati (https://www.resinilluminati.com/index.php)
-   Military (https://www.resinilluminati.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   JTR's 1/35 SEG-888 Hornet - Unimotorcycle Thing (https://www.resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=13353)

The Mad Klingon 04-09-2012 04:09 PM

JTR's 1/35 SEG-888 Hornet - Unimotorcycle Thing

3 Attachment(s)
I saw this kit at the Venice (FL not CA) show and after talking with the builder learned he purchased it on eBay. I picked the little resin kit for only $8.99 plus free shipping from China. The seller called it, "MA.K Resin Model KIT 1/35 JUNK SERIES NO.3 SEG-88" and after some searching I was able to figure out it is a recast of the Japanese outfit Junk Tank Rock's 1/35 SEG-888 Hornet.

The kit arrived quickly and well-packed but after a parts inspection I noticed the hand on the right arm had broken off and was missing. A replacement is suppose to be on the way.

The seller did not include the springs for the exhaust hosing so I'm hoping I can find something a local hardware parts store.

The casting was fair with minimal flaws. The exception was a seam running along the top and read of the bike but nothing a little putty couldn't fix. The bike went together well and I reinforcing all joints with brass wire. The grips and mud flaps are pretty delicate and I am hoping I don't break along the way.

The base was fun! It's built from the shale rock found along the road during the trip home from WF last year. My plan is to conceal the wire with bits of the rock and simulate the bike is jumping from the ledge.

Here's a cool build-up of the kit over on Fichenfoo's site from back in 07.

That's it for now.

Peace out.

The Cat 04-09-2012 07:06 PM

Re: JTR's 1/35 SEG-888 Hornet - Unimotorcycle Thing

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mad Klingon (Post 232113)
The base was fun! It's built from the shale rock found along the road during the trip home from WF last year..

That was a rather eventful trip, if I remember right? :eek:

Interesting subject, Tom. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Gans 04-11-2012 03:15 PM

Hi

Yes its a nice little kit!
Wave sells the type of springs you are after. They are on these pages at HLJ
http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?SeriesID=5245&Dis=2

Here is my SEG888
http://www.brisbanemodelbuilder.com/...k%20ground.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your paint job

http://www.brisbanemodelbuilder.com/

The Mad Klingon 04-11-2012 08:03 PM

I came across your build while researching the little model.

I'm going to look at bass guitar strings and see how they work.

Otherwise I'll order the springs from HLJ. What size did you use?

Gans 04-12-2012 04:12 AM

I can't remember the size, just measure the part it is to connect to, that should give you a good Idea. You could also just wrap silver wire around the right thinkness of black electrical wire

Thanks
Gans
http://www.brisbanemodelbuilder.com/

The Mad Klingon 04-12-2012 05:19 AM

I thought of that. If my guitar string idea doesn't pan out then I'll create the things. If that fails - I'll have the springs from HLJ to fall back on.

The Mad Klingon 06-24-2012 07:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Made some recent progress.

The cycle's heads seemed very vulnerable to impact so I added a brass wire bash guard. The foot pegs had broken off and lost; those were replaced with hand grips from an old Tamiya BMW R75. The guns were OK but hard to see so they were removed and replaced with a couple of spare MG34 barrels.

My kit did not include the hosing and after looking into a few options I decided to order it from HLJ. I used Kotobukiya's MSG 3mm Spring Unit. He-he, I wrote unit.

The helmet mike and power cable from the helmet to the backpack were created with fine wire.

I will be replacing the seat with something a little better textured.

Gans 06-25-2012 03:41 AM

Geez that figure cast is a shocker, mine was much better than that.
I suppose for a recast at $8.99 it was expected

Looking forward to the paint job
Gans

The Mad Klingon 06-25-2012 04:44 AM

Yeah - the image isn't very flattering. I will go back and work on it a little more.

LastBattlestar 06-25-2012 06:12 AM

Looks great to me. I like the design and fine detailing too. Very cool!

Mike

The Mad Klingon 07-28-2012 11:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Progress today

Along with foot pegs I also added a shifter

The seat was replaced with something more detailed; constructed from resin and styrene heated to shape.

I busted the grips while replacing the seat so I added new resin cast ones. To create the grip's texture I wrapped copper wire around rod and made resin copies.

Stowage added - more to come.

The camo is based on the 3-tone camo of green, light blue and black featured on the Russian Maz-537 Tractor.

And finally, I figured out the hair spray technique.

The Mad Klingon 08-06-2012 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting there. Nats is right around the corner...

Dot filter and pin wash done tonight. Tomorrow: chips, finalize the stowage and then a pigment wash. Wednesday I need to mount the bike to the base.

Maybe it was me but the Model Color paint I used for the white "nose" section did not respond well to the hairspray technique. Instead of chipping off, the paint sloughed off in sheets so there's way more of the under color showing than I wanted. I switched to Tamiya for the lower section and it worked fine.

allthumbs 08-06-2012 10:53 PM

funny...its my favorite part! Looks like its been wind-battered and repainted. Love it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mad Klingon (Post 239232)

Maybe it was me but the Model Color paint I used for the white "nose" section did not respond well to the hairspray technique. Instead of chipping off, the paint sloughed off in sheets so there's way more of the under color showing than I wanted.

The Mad Klingon 08-07-2012 04:48 AM

I checked my pigments this morning for a dust color and guess what - I have none. Now I need scramble. Probably something I should have looked into last week.

The Mad Klingon 08-07-2012 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This thing is wearing me out. I wish I had a few more days. And yes, I'll be adding all that stowage! :D