Resin Illuminati

Resin Illuminati (https://www.resinilluminati.com/index.php)
-   Board Rules and Guidelines (https://www.resinilluminati.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   How Far Enough? (https://www.resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=12077)

AbsoluteSciFi 07-14-2011 11:22 PM

How Far Enough?
 
How far is TOO far when honesty is concerned?
We all want (for the most part) to get better at modeling,
but sometimes a post has an abrasive quality when
being totally frank about facts. I am guilty of this from
time to time, but for the most part, I try to provide
a rational for the reality I am bringing to the table.
This is how WIP section's description reads:

Finished or WIP Projects
Tired of getting "nice job" in your threads? Feel like you are not being challenged to improve your builds? Post them here for brutally honest critiques from our members. If you don't take criticism well, don't post here!!

When a person reads that, its like open season
on amateur build day. What limits are there if any?
I know that when I have gone too far, but MY limits
are often far beyond what some would say are tolerable...
even though the disclaimer says "If you don't take
criticism well, don't post here!!"

777 07-15-2011 12:06 AM

Re: How Far Enough?
 
When I do get around to posting there, I'll expect to be fully torn a new asshole. I'll be happy as long as after the tearing of said asshole, someone can tell me how to fix it :)

Neb 07-15-2011 02:49 AM

Re: How Far Enough?
 
The most important thing I try to remember is this---am I happy about how my creation turned out?

I also take a grain of salt in concerns as to who is offering the criticism as well. If John Voijtech, for example, offers up his critique you can believe that not only will I listen, I'll make him wait while I go get a notepad and paper. :D

If someone tells me they don't like the color, that's not a critique---that's personal preference. Lots of different things figure into a critique, and sometimes the modeler has to figure out what's a valid comment and what isn't.

That's why when I want to learn something from a magazine I go to Air Modeller magazine instead of FSM......:eek::D

lakespeed 07-15-2011 04:38 AM

Re: How Far Enough?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteSciFi (Post 213723)
How far is TOO far when honesty is concerned?
We all want (for the most part) to get better at modeling,
but sometimes a post has an abrasive quality when
being totally frank about facts. I am guilty of this from
time to time, but for the most part, I try to provide
a rational for the reality I am bringing to the table.
This is how WIP section's description reads:

Finished or WIP Projects
Tired of getting "nice job" in your threads? Feel like you are not being challenged to improve your builds? Post them here for brutally honest critiques from our members. If you don't take criticism well, don't post here!!

When a person reads that, its like open season
on amateur build day. What limits are there if any?
I know that when I have gone too far, but MY limits
are often far beyond what some would say are tolerable...
even though the disclaimer says "If you don't take
criticism well, don't post here!!"

It's because a lot of people really don't take criticism well so they are being forewarned. If you just want someone to say "nice job" or "solid build" it's not the place to post. However, if you want an honest assessment by all means show us your build.

I have no issues with someone being very blunt with my work; I'd rather have someone tell me what they think and/or see errors that I don't and offer a different technique to do achieve my modeling goal. I read those types of posts in a "neutral" manner so it's not personal or rude to me. Had I not posted in one of those sections on another forum with a build I never would have learned how much better my weathering would become just by incorporating an oil wash. So for me it's helped to improve my skills.

No guts; no glory! ;)

The Cat 07-15-2011 06:57 AM

Re: How Far Enough?
 
I think George and Eric nailed it perfectly.

bellerophon 07-15-2011 08:44 AM

Re: How Far Enough?
 
Which is always in the eye of the beholder.

Like Nep says "it`s a personal taste".

if you look at it real, are many (models / paint / old requirements oversubscribed).

Would you blow up as an example a 1 / 48 model on original size, it would look odd.

would you shrink a real object, are much detail is lost, perhaps correctly, but boring.

We take a Viper: ultramodern space-capable, but the paint flakes off and rusts. illogical.

but i like it really dirty:D

Neb 07-15-2011 08:59 AM

Re: How Far Enough?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellerophon (Post 213755)
We take a Viper: ultramodern space-capable, but the paint flakes off and rusts. illogical.

That's a very good point. :)


To weather my Falke, I used a lot of techniques employed on WWII era fighters. ;)

Oh no......you don't suppose we're all just a bunch of Aircraft modelers and just say we're Sci-Fi Modelers???!!!! :eek: :p:p:p


Hmmmmm....now I'm sad..... :(

:D:D:D

bellerophon 07-15-2011 09:17 AM

Re: How Far Enough?
 
^^^
Aircraft is sci- fi:D

AbsoluteSciFi 07-15-2011 03:22 PM

Re: How Far Enough?
 
I have noticed that fascination with chipped paint
on a hi-tech sci-craft. Just guessed that the paint
is only as good for so many light-years! it is space
after all, and I figure, the paint is purely aesthetic,
and the metal doesn't really need it.

777 07-15-2011 06:26 PM

Re: How Far Enough?
 
Plus, these things sometimes enter atmosphere.

bellerophon 07-16-2011 02:06 AM

Re: How Far Enough?
 
a old viper middle of the 70 years. The paint holds.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs//wp-conte...011/06/F16.jpg


new paint nannotechnologie viper. paint does not hold:D

777 07-16-2011 02:58 AM

Re: How Far Enough?
 
I'm sure every ship in every series, on returning to the bay was instantly repainted in full.

bellerophon 07-16-2011 05:46 AM

Re: How Far Enough?
 
ohh yes, one from the paintcrew:rolleyes:

http://watermarked.cutcaster.com/cut...ion-Worker.jpg

AbsoluteSciFi 07-18-2011 06:51 PM

Re: How Far Enough?
 
I'm OK with a chipped paint scheme.
I'm not OK with a bad job of chipped paint scheme.
There could be any number of explanations for chipped paint,
but only one reason for a badly painted model...

DarthDuck 07-18-2011 08:40 PM

Re: How Far Enough?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteSciFi (Post 214014)
I'm OK with a chipped paint scheme.
I'm not OK with a bad job of chipped paint scheme.
There could be any number of explanations for chipped paint,
but only one reason for a badly painted model...



AW FUCK!:eek:

I say that because sorry, but I do know of one or two egos (not saying that they're on this board) who could never, ever take what you just said as criticism even though it would be so justly deserved! Ha, I nearly busted a gut just thinking about the folks I have in mind ever catching wind of something so "honest" being said about their work.


Back on topic though- I "tailor" any criticism to whom it is directed at- if I give any at all. I generally don't criticize because experience has taught me that even with a signed waiver, most folks still don't want to hear it.;)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.